shadow protect deskop and paragon

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by lodore, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello,
    I have just got an email back from paragon today and i can get 50percent off eiether paragon drive backup 8.5 or paragon hard disk manager 8.0
    ok a few questions i want to ask at this point.
    1. how do i find the license code for acronis in the interface?
    I need to show paragon a screenshot of acronis true image and the license code visable. if all else fails I can take a photo of the licence key in the dvd case.
    I have also tested the full evauation of shadow protect desktop and like it alot. but the 50 percent off deal for shadow protect desktop is no longer avalible. plus if i want to order it now i will have to pay an extra 20percent for the maintanance to get version 3.0 when it comes out.

shadow protect desktop images are made faster but the paragon images isnt much slower and makes smaller images.
    I was testing both products on my new Hard drive on my old pc and both flawlessly backed up and restored the images.
    lodore

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  2. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Hi Lodore, I only see one (1) question in your post and unfortunately I cannot help you on it. But I do have a question: Assuming you already have Paragon Hard Disk Manager 8 SE, what features will you gain by purchasing the full program? Sorry if this has been discussed in another thread.

3. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

Acronis Web Site go to my accounts and sign in - go to update and it will show all the products you have registered with Acronis with the license code.

At this stage you would need to use a programme like "Faststone Capture" to take a snapshot of the information, you can then send Paragon the snapshot file.

John.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

its mainly the fact that the program is great except the rescure media builder in the program makes a cd that boots fine and creates and restores images fine but the interface is really hard to understand from the recovery cd.
    so if i get the 50percent off paragon hard disc manager 8.0 personal i can get the winpe recovery cd with has the full paragon program the same as in windows which is very colourful and easy to understand plus has better driver support.
    lodore

5. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

The Personal Edition does offer features that are not available in the Special Edition. For example Differential Backup. And the full functioning Recovery CD.
    I also got a very reasonable upgrade fee, far more reasonable than what Acronis charges.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks.
    i just read the email and found out i needed to go link in the email and attach the screenshot there and provide the infomation to explain what the attachment was for because it states do not reply to this email.
    lodore

7. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Or, you can print the page to a PDF file and send the PDF file.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i done some more testing with paragon 8.0 special edition on my old pc today. all the backup's where successfull and verified perfectly and restored perfectly.
    now i just need to wait for the email reply from paragon for the second set of questions i asked them.
    i want the winpe recovery cd but it only comes with the hard disk manager version.
    i was hoping you could order the winpe recovery cd with drive backup since i dont really need the partistioning features.
    the paragon hard disc manager and winpe recovery cd is $100 but i will get 50percent discount for the competive upgrade.
    $50 is around £25
    it would be even cheaper if they could supply me with winpe recovery cd with drive backup 8.5
    shadow protect desktop is $70 which is around £35 plus 20 percent for maintanance so i get version 3. as a free upgrade when it comes out.
    shadow protect desktop is more expensive but the interface is almost perfect and so easy to understand.
    its just like 4 clicks.
    1. click on backup now
    2. tick the harddrive or partistions to backup
    3. select the location to save the backup to
    4. click finish and it will start the backup.
    it even calls the backup e.g. CVOL so you know what volume it is if you ever need to restore it.
    with paragon,
    1. click on backup hard drive or partistions.
    2. untick the ones you dont want backed up since it ticks all partistions
    3. name the backup a sensible file name and not e.g. 302fjek3ht4eoje2huj343.pbf i call mine in testing e.g. full C backup
    4. click finish.
    5. click on view changes and then click on apply changes.
    the backup will now start.
    both are great backup programs but shadow protect desktop makes the process easier and faster.
    so e.g. if you created a full image then a diffrential image e.g. once an hour then when you select the full image file it even tells you when the backup was created. spo you can e.g. restore to two hours ago very easy.
    with paragon it is a bit harder than that since the diffrential images are stored seprately and isnt so easy to check the time stamps. both are great apps and its hard to choose which one.
    i do see what Peter means about speed and convenience thou with shadow protect desktop.
    basically anyone can pickup shadow protect desktop and create a full backup of there hard drives in no time.

there is still one thing i dont know and i would like an answer to if anyone knows.
    when you buy eiether paragon drive backup or hard disc manager you get a ISO image of the fulll recovery cd is this recovery cd based on linux or windows? can someone provide screenshots of that recovery cd which you get when you buy the personal edition?
    if that recovery cd is good enough i might not need to buy the hard disc manger and forgot the winpe cd.
    but in the ideal situation getting drive backup and the winpe cd would be ideal.
    lodore

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  9. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Here are screens of the Linux application. There is also DOS (Low-Graphics Safe Mode), but that doesn't run nicely in a virtual machine. So no screens of DOS.

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

Clipboard03.jpg

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks
    i will try and get drive backup and the winpe recovery cd.
    the main thing with linux based recovery cd's is driver support and the fact the driver letters are different in linux.
    with winpe alll the drive letters are the same as in windows and you get the full program in the recovery cd.
    so if i have to pay for hard drive manager 8.5 just to get the winpe recovery cd i will do so.
    i got the 50percent off discount code today and will purchase paragon very soon.
    lodore

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.