Shadow Protect and RollbackRX

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by slider916, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slider916

slider916 Registered Member

Does these two work well together? I've read about a few of these having issues with the MBR when using a restore along with an image utility.

Thanks in advance.

:)

2. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Based on my experience, I can tell you that ShadowProtect's boot disk works very well with Rollback Rx (using SP's all-sectors mode of operation). However, if you install SP and create an image-backup from within Windows (with Rollback Rx installed) upon restoring that image you will likely have to perform a FIXMBR or recover a standard Windows MBR (btw, the same is true for every image-backup program I've tried)!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  3. buckshee

buckshee Registered Member

If you have imaging software why do you need Rollback Rx (or similar)anyway ?

Why not set up your imaging software to create a full backup once a week and then incremental backups each day. If you set your imaging software to keep only 2 sets of images (i.e 2 weeks worth) then at the beginning of the third week the oldest set is deleted when the new set is initially created - this saves harddisk space. Backup software looks after all data changes so you can get back any new files since the last incremental backup if you need to do a system restore. Sure it uses more hard disk space but as long as you use an external harddrive or second one then even if you C drive blows up you can be up and running in a short time and really - how often do you need to revert a drive.

I fouind Comodo Time Machine slowed down my computer especailly during boot up. I suspect Rollback Rx might do the same. You also can't defdrag with these programs installed (well you can but they have to be switched off and old snapshots are no good)

I also use Total Uninstall when installing programs as it tracks file and registry changes so I can safely uninstall any software completely - even months later

4. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

This is correct, Rx slows boot time down. I also agree that if you have SP there is no need for Rx. I use Rx on my lap top since there is generally no external drive to back up to. I use SP on my desktop.

5. moontan

moontan Registered Member

because you can load a snapshot in 20 seconds vs restoring an image in 20 minutes.
    there are other reasons for sure but for me that`s the main selling point.

i use both.
    they both have their usefulness.

6. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Not to my way of thinking! The convenience of SP incrementals on your desktop depends on having an external drive connected to your desktop at all times. Where's the security in that if your home is burglerized? I keep my external drive with my image-backups in a pad-locked (secured) file cabinet (I've even been giving some thought to a fireproof safe).

Ditto, but I also use it on my desktop because RB can take a new snapshot in under 5 seconds and (as moontan suggests) RB can restore any snapshot in about 20 seconds more than the time it takes to reboot my PC. ;)

That said, I wouldn't think of doing without my weekly image backups to an external drive that I can keep in a secured place!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  7. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

RX would not help in this situation, in addition, since RX images cannot be put on external media then in the event of drive loss or failure you are toast. So if you have Rx you still need to do images with a 2nd piece of software (which I do weekly, as well as back up critical files daily to an on-line storage site) to an external drive. With SP there is no need for any other software. Further if you wanted to, when you left your home you could unplugged the external drive and put it in a safe place,,,,,,,,,,,.

That being said I do like the very quick roll back ability with Rx but, while I have not had occasion to do it, I believe reverting an SP image back 15 min (which is the shortest duration you can set SP to take incrementals for) would not take 20 min to accomplish. I seem to recall it being posted somewhere on this forum that SP can revert in 4 min or so. I could be wrong about this though. Still, you cannot beat Rx for speed of revert. THere are trade offs though.

Consider the time it takes to do a full drive image if you are imaging with Rx installed, also, the size of the image, as well as an inability to defrag the drive and to free up space cleared by deleting files or programs when Rx is installed.

As I said, trade offs.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Rx fan, it has worked beautifully for me since I started using it a few years back.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.