Shadow defender

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by waters, Feb 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waters

waters Registered Member

When i start it it says used space by shadow defender 0
    If i then enter shadow mode it goes to about 301mb used.
    Without doing anything this starts increasing.After 5 minuites its 360mb and counting.Why the increase

2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Just guessing but you say "without doing anything". You may not have done anything but has your computer done anything ? like a defrag ? do you have any running services ?

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I think this is one of the neat things about Shadow Defender. It starts off small, but increases to handle what you are doing, rather than run out of space. I have been able to shadow a hugh virtual machine because of this feature.

Pete

4. waters

waters Registered Member

No defrag nothing.I soon as i go into shadow mode it starts counting as i look at it

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It is absolutely normal behaviour. Virtualizers create a volume separated from the normal "write Disk area". Any activity of the computer is redirected to that volume, so even doing apparently nothing it will add up to the volume.

What I've noticed when I first installed SD, is that if your harddisk is defragged by Windows own defrag, the volume is likely to start with a huge 1.3 GB and adding from that number (checked and confirmed by other members at the time). After defragging with Ultimate Defrag, and placing all the files on the outer area of the disk (with UD I use "Consolidate/Very fast placement") ShadowDefender often starts with 0 MB or at the most 30-70 MB.

I think one should be concerned if the increase of the virtual volume is in the range of 1 GB without doing anything for a couple of hours. With ShadowUser Pro (a similar application) this meant a conflict with some other application.

6. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

Shadow Defender also virtualizes writes to the pagefile so that may account for the increase in cache size while apparently not doing anything.

7. waters

waters Registered Member

Glad is is normal because i want to keep this.It was Shadow defender or Sandboxie or both but Sandboxie slows me down now too much since installing Vista.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.