Shadow Defender

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Rico, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Do you update this product by installing on top of previous version? In my case would be 1.0.123 > 1.0.130

Thanks
    Rico

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

uninstall then reinstall

3. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi,

Thanks Trjam! Worked like a charm. Do you know what changed?

Take Care
    Rico

4. tonycn

tonycn Registered Member

Hi Rico,
    I am the developer of Shadow Defender, a change history has been already added to the website.

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Hi Tony, thought you would never get here and WELCOME to Wilders.:) :thumb:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Tony

Likewise welcome to Wilders. Glad to see you here.

Pete

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Welcome to Wilders Tony!

Blue

8. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello Tony,

Welcome to Wilders! Look forward to reading your posts!

Take Care
    Rico

9. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Wow !....we usually have reps from software companies in this forum but rarely we have its developer participating in this forum.

Welcome, tonycn, and hope to see more posts from you for Shadow Defender ! Cheers !

10. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Prior to installing 'Shadow Defender' my hdd consisted of C & D drives. I moved to D the following: windows desktop, firefox profile, thunderbird profile, & my documents. Those 4 now reside on D drive.

Now each time I run regseeker I always get errors regarding 'shell folders' see pic.

Is this the right approach for the virtual environment & how do I solve regseeker's mystrey?

Also I'm using 'Shadow Protect' ver. 3 & backing up to ext. hdd. I've found that, if while in Shadow Mode, I start, even briefly, Shadow Protect. Shadow Protect loses it's schedule & history. It's like Shadow Mode is poison to SP.

Thanks & Take Care
    Rico

Attached Files:

11. tonycn

tonycn Registered Member

Hi Rico,
    It seems that you moved C:\documents and settings\Local Service.NT AUTHORITY.001 and C:\documents and settings\NetworkService to D:\ also by accident. Can you find these two folders in the C drive and which folder relocation tool you used? Did it happened only while in Shadow Mode?
    Anyway you need not to move these folders to D:\, you can use Exclusion list feather of SD to save files.
    As far as i know SP3 saved schedule in registry database, and saved histroy in its install directory. Did the schedule and history only lost while in Shadow Mode? If you add a schedule while in Shadow Mode, then reboot, the schedule will be discarded.

Best regards,
    Tony

12. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Rico,

Agreed.....this is not the way to use ShadowDefender which has the exclude files and folders features o_O

Why move these to the D Directory and create problems for yourself as you now reported o_O?

13. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Tony,

I am glad to hear from you and appreciate your product a lot. But, the only problem I am having is that my Acrobat 7 Standard says I need to activate product because of system change. This happens in shadow mode. Other than that, I have no problems but need to get this straightened because I don't want to try to activate this product in shadow mode because it would have to be repeated always. And, Adobe activation scheme is difficult sometimes forcing you to call them. Have you seen any conflicts with Adobe Acrobat 7 and thank you.

Gary

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Have you try to exclude tha Adobe program folder from Shadow Defender. and if it is activated I dont know why it would pop up like that. I have adobe and use it in shadow mode. Maybe Tony has a better answer, which I am confident he does.

15. huntnyc

No, did not exclude that but I am sure I could. Yes, it is activated a long time but when running certain program (SD is one and DeepFreeze another) it does this. However, when runnning Returnil, no problem at all. So, I will wait for Tony but also I may reinstall and try excluding th efolder. Thanks.

Gary

16. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Happy New Year!

At the time I moved folders to the D drive, SD was not on my radar screen, and some of the competition did not have an elegant way of excluding folders. Other users at this forum, had separated, data from programs, via partitioning. As I already had the partition in place, storing data separately seemed like a good idea. My current scenario does not cause any problems, only the minor Regseeker annoyance.

I do not understand, the reference to 'shell folders' that RegSeeker continually finds, due to file not found. Can the folders on C be removed? Do they now exist on D.

As for for 'folder re-location' tool one was TweakUI, & another free program have to do some hunting to recall its name.

Regarding SP3 & SD - If SP3 is started during shadow mode, the next reboot (non shadow) & then restart SP3. SP3's license will be de-activated & the program is then useless. Normally what i do then is uninstall re-install SP3. Now that I'm aware or know, what causes problems for SP3, I do not make that error any longer. This behavior occurred when SD & SP3 were on C: it also occurred with SD on C: & SP3 on D:, also I don't remember if i tried a SD exclusion of SP3 while SP3 is on D:. Also when SP3 loses its mind, because of SD, I would normally also reformat the ext. HDD as SP3 would no have no frame of reference regarding the previous backups.

Take Care
    Rico

17. pidbo

pidbo Registered Member

Re: Shadow Defender...Nero too

huntnyc

I had the same problem that you are experiencing in Acrobat with Nero 5.5
    Had to reinstall it.

18. huntnyc

Re: Shadow Defender...Nero too

Thanks. Did you reinstall nero after you exited out of Shadow Mode with Shadow Defender still installed and thanks.

Gary

19. pidbo

pidbo Registered Member

Gary HuntNYC
    Yes I kept SD installed but out of shadow mode, then competely uninstalled Nero then re-installed and I have not had a problem since then.
    I\'m sorry, I can\'t remember exactly the message that Nero gave prior to this happening but it was something along the lines of that it had detected a change which might be due to virus activity and re activation was necessary.
    I am running avg free (resident shield up), Ewido anti-trojan and this was not reflected in activity in either of these at the time.

20. huntnyc

Thanks and I might try this and run a repair instal out of shadow mode before trying to uninstall and see if I can get that to work.

Gary

21. huntnyc

I installed SD again and while in normal mode did a repair install of Acrobat 7 but no joy after going into shadow mode on C and opening an Acrobat doc, activation thing came up but never does with Returnil so far. Hope this could be solved in some way other than totally uninstalling and reinstalling.

Gary

22. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Gary,

You should try to open a .pdf document first before going into shadow mode.
    See if it helps.

23. huntnyc

Thanks. I think I did try that with DeepFreeze but not with SD. Might go back and try again because I really like the interface and small footprint of SD but this activation problem is a headache.

Also I did not try an uninstall reinstall thing because that could give me even more problems if I revert back to a previous image of my system that has no SD. Thanks for all.

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.