Shadow Defender Used Disk Space

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Osaban, Nov 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi there,

I'm trialling Shadow Defender, so far everything runs as advertised. There are however some figures which are a bit unusual compared to another similar product: Entering Shadow mode the program swallows instantly 1.30 GB as a starting point, within 5 minutes as I'm writing it is up to 1.33 GB. Is this normal? What do other people get for those figures? (I'm with Vista Ultimate32, therefore I'd like somebody to answer having Vista).

The reason I'm concerned is that with ShadowUser which i use with XP, the initial volume is only 30-50 MB, and gets to 1-2 GB after hours of intense computer use.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

P.S.
    I just rechecked the amount of space used and it has remained 1.33 GB.

2. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

^^; well if it is takeing up space its probably because it needs to store temporary data. and it will be deleted on reboot :D

I baught a licance and i never use it really however it is a good program :D

Twister seems to catch everything xD ( FDDS ftw! )

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It doesn't answer my question, and I really don't see what Twister has to do with my thread. Please on topic replies.

4. deanmartin

deanmartin Registered Member

Mine starts out at 1.43GB and within 5 mins 1.45GB so i guess thats normal. and i have Vista 32bit. I really never paid attention to what it went to.

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Thanks, this is what I wanted to have confirmed. With ShadowUser a start with 1GB was a definite sign of a conflict with other softwares. Shadow Defender probably has a different way to start, and since I opened this thread I kept my system in Shadow mode, 1.5 hours and the consumption is really very reasonable 1.37 GB (started with 1.30 GB).

6. deanmartin

Your welcome. Wonderful Program.

7. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Osaban, I guess it depends on what you're running. Mine usually evens out at around 5GB, but I'm running several applications at once all day. I've had mine at around 8GB, but that's when I'm ripping/burning a few DVDs and had it running for a couple of days.

It does have a feature to alert you when you're running low with free space. By default it is set to 200MB, but you could set it to a larger amount.

Attached Files:

• SD.jpg
      SD.jpg
      File size:
      50.7 KB
      Views:
  8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Saraceno, the only reason I opened this thread was about the amount of disk Shadow Defender uses to start the process, compared to ShadowUser from Storagecraft it is huge, 1.3 GB and 40 MB. It seems to be normal which it's what I wanted to ascertain, and by all means I have 100 GB of free space so no problems in terms of running out of space.

Looking at your attached image, and comparing it to the same image from my program I can't see the last option ' Notify me with low free space on the protected volume' now this is definitely strange: Why are they different?

Attached Files:

9. deanmartin

Osaban, do you have the Version: 1.1.0.275 its the new one from 10/6/08.

10. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Osaban, I performed an uninstall and re-installed the new version.

Deanmartin might be able to advise. Did you re-install over the previous version, or do an uninstall/re-install?

Not sure if it makes a difference.

11. deanmartin

I did a uninstall/re-install. but like you said dont no if that makes a difference.

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

For some reasons I downloaded the 1.1.0.270 version, it is odd as it is a download from the official site... Thanks anyway, now I have the latest version, and it explains the differences encountered.

13. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

After using UltimateDefrag in Auto mode to defragment (C), and entering shadowmode with ShadowDefender it starts with a whopping 30+ GB! Don't know what to make of it, but certainly UltimateDefrag and ShadowDefender don't seem to like each other. After defragmenting (C) again with JkDefrag, ShadowDefender started its shadow session with its normal 1.30 GB.

It looks like ShadowDefender decides the size of the startup volume according to the arrangement of the files in (C), why not, but 30 GB seems an awful lot to me. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

14. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It may well be a function of disk layout. Before I had Ultimate Defrag put the archive files at the center, and I think(not positive) I was using about 18.8g for SD. Have since reorganized the disk and all files are at the outer edge. Now SD is using about 107MB. Interesting.

Pete

15. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

As a matter of fact JkDefrag by default places all the files at the outer edge of the disk. If SD's initial volume is function of the disk layout, there might be some problems using it with a disk that is 70-80% full. It'd be interesting to have feedback from somebody who is running SD with these parameters.

16. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Interestingly the file seems to be dynamic. It grew with use. Amazingly I had it shadowing my d: drive and I was playing with my large vm machine. Rebooted and all the vm machine changes were gone.

Pete

17. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

Sorry for necroing. Got some questions about shadowdefender :p

Currently trying it out now on my pc and I don't notice any drastic slow downs between normal and shadow modes (which is good :thumb: ). My question is that I usually do a lot of reboots and with shadowdefender's disk caching, would this have an impact to my hd and cause hd fatigue?

One more thing, I placed the pagefile on a different partion on a separate harddrive and did not enable shadowing for that particular partition. Safe or not?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.