Shadow Defender Questions

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by n8chavez, Dec 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I just bought Shadow Defender and I have a couple of questions about it.

Where exactly is the shadowed data stored? I cannot find any impact of it on c:.

I'm using JKDefrag, and I suspect that there is some sort of conflict between it and Shadow Defender; data is constantly being defragmented. Any way around this?

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I've used it with Jk Defrag without any problems(On Vista). I'm not sure what you mean by not finding any impact on C:
    As far as I know you won't be able to 'see' the virtual folder other than the amount of space used by it.

After reading again your post, did you mean using JK Defrag in shadow mode? If that's the case, no defragmenter will ever work in a virtualized state.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

The reason you can't find the file is Shadow Defender creates it when you enter shadowmode, and deletes it when you leave. I wouldn't leave a defragger running on auto pilot.

I believe the file is diskopt.sys and it is in the root directory. May be hidden. But if you aren't shadowed it won't be there.

Pete

4. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Pete:
    Would you elaborate? Did you mean when in shadow mode or in general? By auto pilot, do you mean scheduled defrags or something like stealth patrol (if you know PerfectDisk), i.e., a mode where the defragger runs itself when it detects a preset amount and/or duration of idle time?

5. Peter2150

Yes something like stealth patrol. I only have a defrag on demand setup. Automatic stuff can just cause issues for me.

For example, if a defrag runs while using FDISR, or going into SD shadowmode, or running Shadowprotect's continuous incrementals.

Just one less thing that can nail me when I am not looking:D

6. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Just use JKDefrag once a week while not in shadow mode. :thumb:

7. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

How does Shadow Defender treat the page file? I ask because BCWipe has the abililty to encrypt the page file. Would that be useful here, or should I not exclude the file from SD?

8. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Hi Peter, Does Shadow Defender only delete the file, or does it erase the file? There was some talk awhile back about Returnil and how it leaves a large file on the hard drive (even using memory caching) that could be retrieved and examined forensically. Coldmoon (to his credit) finally admitted that in their forums and said they hope to add an option to erase that file at reboot. So the program is good for security, but not necessarily for privacy. Is Shadow Defender any different? My guess is it is only deleted as you wrote, and again, good for security but not for those privacy, ie: who think it "wipes" everything away on reboot and nothing in the previous session is irretrievable.

9. Peter2150

I suspect it just deletes it, which is fine for most purposes. ShadowDefender isn't touted as the last word on privacy, but computer security, so I think it not a big deal.

Could stuff be retrieved, probably, but it would probably take a forensic expert, not something a typical user could do.

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I think to erase the virtual volume would make a reboot very long, unless it would be carried out in the background while in unprotected mode. One could also use Eraser every now and again, although time would again be an issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.