Shadow Defender Problem

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by mark.eleven, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark.eleven

mark.eleven Registered Member

I was trying out Shadow Defender (in shadow mode 24/7) with the following setup:

Firewall: built-in Windows Vista firewall

Real Time:
    1. Sandboxie (paid)
    2. SD (in shadow mode 24/7)
    3. Prevx (free)

Unfortunately, it didn't go well. My notebook hangs intermittently upon reboot - sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. I still couldn't figure out what the conflict is.

Anyone face similar problem? Any comment on the possible causes of conflicts?

2. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Hi. I had a similar problem, Online Armor was causing Shadow Defender to hang at switch off. Would hang forever, only solution was to reset. Adding SD to OA's exclusion list solved this problem for me.

Couple of things you could try:

- add SD to Prevx's Detection Override list, in Settings
    - check if you have DEP running, if so, exclude SD

Might be worth running/shutting down in safe-mode a few times, see if you have the same problems/any pop-ups. Definitely take a look inside Event Viewer, see if you have any recurring errors showing up.

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I have tried SD on a few computers and 2 laptops. One computer, an athlon 2400 cpu does not like SD. After some time it hard locks, I don't know if it is memory or what. The file size is shown in SD as around 2gb, which does not seem too large. There is no AV,FW etc etc, only SRP and IPSec rules. Remove SD and it churns code out all day long with no problems.

All other computers ranging from athlon 2800, fx55, p4's up to core2duos, on desktops and laptops run fine 24/7 so far in testing without issue. Again, no AV/FW/etc etc on these machines, only SRP or LUA/SRP.

The few people I have talked into trying SD so far have also reported no problems as well. They are still probably on trial period as they have not said they bought it yet. Also, I know of 4 people using Rnil without issue, but 1 used both Rnil and SD with issues of freezing, but he was attempting with I believe A64 and nf4 mobo of some kind.

I have not seen in my experience yet any common denominator in why the freezing.

Sul.

4. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

The suspect program is Prevx.:ninja:

SD plays well with Sandboxie on Windows Vista and Windows Firewall.:cool:

I trialled Prevx last week and it hangs my PC after some time and I don't even have SD installed. I wonder why o_O

5. mark.eleven

I've made the 2 changes as suggested.

Switched off and re-started my notebook a few times and so far, it seems OK. Maybe it's the DEP setting. I'll report back in a few days' time.

6. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Check with Prevx support. They will probably be able to help you.
    Hugger

7. mark.eleven

I'm giving up on Shadow Defender. Tried every possible combination - turn off DEP, uninstall Prevx, Sandboxie, DW,... all couldn't work. My notebook would just freeze intermittently on starting.

Well, looks like my notebook just doesn't like SD.

Back to Sandboxie and Returnil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.