Shadow Defender kicks @ss

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Saraceno, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

2. pidbo

pidbo Registered Member

Yes I agree with you Saraceno, Shadow Defender is a great program and all credit to Tony, I use it when running in Shadow Mode with Sandboxie. When downloading anything to the pc, Sandboxie runs as normal within shadow mode session;files can also be virus checked etc, and if I decide to keep those particular files after a re-boot it's simply a right click on the files in Windows Explorer and "commit".
    I think someone mentioned (I read somewhere on Wilders) that a newer version of Shadow Defender had been released under a different name, do you know if there is any truth in that?

3. Saraceno

Not too sure on that one.

But I agree with you, I run a scan with prevx and hitman pro, if all is cool, then it gets committed (or the installation file does and I install the program when shadow defender is off). :)

We all seek the best and easiest setup, but this program doesn't get nearly enough credit as it deserves. The reason there aren't pages of it on this forum, complaints or questions, is because it's easy to use and it simply works! ;)

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

there are and were other Shadow programs but only one ShadowDefender. Tony created it and continues to make it better.

ps. ya know it is one of the best like MSE;)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  5. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

I like Shadow Defender. The only thing I miss is some kind of secure deletion (wiping/erasing/overwriting) of SD's temp files or wherever it stores data (similar to Sandboxie's feature to use Eraser or SDelete to wipe session traces).

6. Saraceno

Interesting.

I guess it would depend on the amount of data, for example, if you let it run for a number of days, that would be a lot of data to wipe - and I assume would take several minutes or longer to wipe. But still, food for thought as they say! And the Big T (Tony), might work something out. :D

7. SafetyFirst

SafetyFirst Registered Member

It would be good to have a feature where you could set SD up to securely erase (and not simply delete) all traces on system shutdown.

Is there a support forum for Shadow Defender users?

8. Saraceno

No support forum, as Tony is a one-man team.

Send him an email with your suggestions, let us know what he says. He does welcome feedback.

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

10. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=252613

diskopt.sys would be your man.

Wonder if relocating the diskopt.sys file to a ram drive and on reboot dumping everything would work/be quicker (a secure delete wipe might takes ages, as suggested). Not sure how that would go when you next boot up - I wonder what, if any, files within diskopt.sys are needed to complete the pre-shadow-mode state.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I believe diskopt.sys has to be on the volume being shadowed. If you shadow c: and d: you will find one on each.

Pete

12. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Is Shadow Defender compatible with Win7? Anyone tried?

13. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I would absolutely love to see SD have exceptions for registry the same as files, and commit too. It is the only thing weak about SD. Yes, you can commit your files, but if you make changes to configurations or some things need to store in registry, there is no way to commit or exclude those. The Achilles Heel of an otherwise industrial strength tool.

I use it 24/7 now.

Sul.

14. Keyboard_Commando

Shadow Defender has been working on Win 7 for 3 weeks so far. With Prevx, Sandboxie, and excluded Shadow Defender from DEP protection.

I haven't really put it through the mixer yet, so I don't know if there are any problems lurking. It's worth checking to make sure your backup option(s) work ok with SD, defrag too (not defragging in shadow mode).

15. Montecristo

Montecristo Registered Member

ShadowDefender has been rock solid for me for 2 years running. It works great in conjunction with Sandboxie. :thumb:

16. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Hi,

no problems here on Windows 7 RC 7100.

17. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Hi K_C,

Why would one need to exclude Shadow Defender from DEP? And is this software DEP, hardware DEP or both? What other programs would require exclusion from DEP? Thanks.

18. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Ok thank you. For those running Win7 and SD together, any problems with restoring images?
    Im always a bit afraid of using this kind of software like SD is when its not officially supported.
    Thx again.

19. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

I agree it is an excellent program, which I haven't bought yet because I feel settled with SB & MD & FD-ISR. However I always install a trial version when I change snapshot. In my hierarchy it comes 4th after the aforementioned and it is one man show also. Impressive.

20. Keyboard_Commando

Just habit. I usually turn DEP off (when I can remember) for Defraggers, Imaging backups, etc. The only programs that I have had problems with DEP (on XP) compatibility are; Smart Defrag, Drive Image XML, CyberGhost VPN. From what I can gather DEP only flags with poorly coded apps and of course malicious one's executing from protected areas. Stuff like defraggers and image restorers, etc, might generate pretty random acts that might flag DEP, is my way of looking at it, so I always exclude them - especially my backup options as I don't want them screwed when I need them most.

I have excluded Shadow Defender from DEP protection because I don't know the situation with it and Win 7 compatibility - it's hard to find out much about Shadow Defender (unless you email the maker) there is no forum and so on.

Rolarocka

I haven't used an image restorer via Win 7, but yesterday I restored an XP image on an XP/Win 7 dual boot. I was a little bit worried if Shadow Defender would maybe interfere with the process ... but it all went well.

21. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Ok i'm convinced, i am looking for a light virtualization type app to replace Sandboxie and this looks like it will fit the bill.

With all the positive comments, i'll download and take it for a spin. :)

22. deanmartin

deanmartin Registered Member

For some reason, I think you will like it. ;)

23. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

Does Shadow Defender allow defragmentation or is it a no no?

24. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It sure does. But common sense would say don't defrag when the drives are shadowed.

Pete

25. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Light virtualization says it all: simple, universal, easy to use, basically with a good two ways firewall, a bit of common sense that's all one needs to have a good security and a super fast computer.

Hopefully Tony will manage to code a x64 version soon enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.