Shadow Defender alternatives?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by AlexC, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Any alternative software to Shadow defender that is being actively developed and allow to set permanent exclusions?
    I didn´t found any o_O

2. Serapis

Serapis Registered Member

There isn't one that I know of that has what your're looking for.

Using sandboxie with SD should guarantee excellent Fort Knox-like pc security.
    Configure sandboxie to drop rights and have start/run settings and you should achieve ultimate security where you can go anywhere on the web. This kind of security is addictive btw. I just cant use a pc that doesn't have such a suite installed.

I am appreciative that such security of this caliber exists in this day and age where over 30% of malware ever created, appearing only in 2010

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

4. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I use Returnil and have been happy with it. :cool:

5. huisinro

huisinro Registered Member

you can use VBoot too, snapshots are persistent across reboots

right now, you will have to install Windows or Linux to a virtual disk file, then boot it, and you can take snapshots very easily. You can select a snapshot to boot at boot time. Storing the whole OS inside a file has other advantages too.

Our future version will support the live host snapshots, so no need to install os to a virtual disk file.

6. Serapis

Serapis Registered Member

VBoot sounds like rollback/snapshot sotware, am I right?

7. huisinro

huisinro Registered Member

yes, it offers snapshot and recovering by using differencing virtual disk file, so it's a very clean solution. It supports Windows and Linux.

The main objective of VBoot is to install and boot the whole OS from a single file. Snapshot is a side effect.

A screeshot:

http://www.vmlite.com/vboot/vboot-snapshots.jpg

8. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

I have tried DeepFreeze, Time Freeze and Returnil System Safe.

Returnil System Safe is what I like the best of the three, I still use Shadow defender on one of my older systems.

For some reason WOT gives PowerShadow a red warning without no commits.
    Therefore I didn't want to try it.

Thanks.:)

9. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

I think that any of those allows to set permanent exclusions.
    However, even not being actively developed at the moment, i´m very glad with Shadow Defender:thumb:

10. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Returnil, and Deep Freeze are your best alternatives to Shadow defender. Some of the other softwares listed on this thread are not in the same class of software. If you want to stick with light virtualization then i would go with Returnil or Deep Freeze. If you are not having any problems with Shadow Defender though i would stick with SD because it has proven time, and time again to be resistant to malware that has bypassed other mentioned products in this thread successfully infecting the system after a reboot.

11. bellgamin

If you have any actual facts/links to support your statement that "malware has bypassed other mentioned products in this thread", please share them with us, & send them to the proponents of these programs. I have corresponded with some of those proponents in the past & I am sure they would be glad to find & fix these weaknesses which it seems that you alone are aware of.

I did my best to give specific answers to OP's request. Huisinro is the only other poster who has likewise responded to OP's request. You did not offer alternatives. Instead, you merely criticized the efforts of those who DID offer alternatives.

By the way -- the view from Mt Olympus must be splendid this time of year. :cautious:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  12. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

13. Boost

Boost Registered Member

I used DeepFreeze (older version) for an entire year with NO isssues. You do not need the latest greatest software in these types of cases to "be safe 'n secure".

14. bellgamin

That old thread? Perhaps, but I rather doubt it. That thread primarily related to Shadow Surfer, which I did NOT list herein for the very reason that it is no longer maintained by Storagecraft & was, in days of yore, merely a pale shadow of its big brother Shadow Protect.

15. Cutting_Edgetech

Storage Craft also has a more complete light virtualization app called Shadow user which can save changes to a shadow across a reboot. Shadow user is also no longer being developed. It can be very handy though if your running XP, and want to test some software that requires a reboot to install. Its a shame it is no longer being supported!

16. moontan

moontan Registered Member

Rollback RX is ideal for this.
    in RX, restoring a snapshot takes a reboot + about 20 seconds.

17. Cutting_Edgetech

Hey, bellgamin i'm glad you asked for some sort of factual proof about my comments in this thread. I have read several different threads, and articles about light virtualization apps being bypassed over the past three years. I don't remember where I read all of them, but here is one example if you trust the source of who conducted the test. I'm sure most of these have most likely been fixed by now or I would hope so anyways.
    -http://ssj100.fullsubject.com/t166-light-virtualization-software-partial-sandbox-test?highlight=shadow+defender+test-

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2011
  18. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Posted the wrong link - this is the one I should have posted:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=276210&highlight=shadow defender

19. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Rollback Rx is Not a Boot-to-Restore (B2R) Application like Shadow Defender, Returnil, Deep Freeze etc.
    Therefore, I don't find it fair to compare Rollback RX with Shadow Defender or other B2R software.

20. Cutting_Edgetech

Thanks Dark Star 72! Yes, that was another one of the threads i was referring to. That just shows how reliable Shadow Defender really is so there's no reason at this time to drop it if your not having problems with it. It's rock solid!

21. bellgamin

Interesting schtuff. I especially like that fellow's closing words . . .
    I totally agree with that verdict.

I sometimes use lite virtualizers when I just want to mess around & easily dump the resultant crapola. But my main routine is to image at least weekly, & do daily on-demand-runs of HMP, TinyWatcher, AdInf (at times), etc -- at daily start-up while I am having breakfast.

If I get a blip, I restore an image & Poof! -- the immaculate conception rides again. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.