“SG” Icon not in the System Tray

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by JAK-KE, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAK-KE

JAK-KE Registered Member

Due to a conflict in communication software, I had to re-install MSN/DSL on my duplex system (with one dual processor system operating on Windows 2000 Pro and the second running under Windows XP). Following that installation process, I noticed that the SpywareGuard “SG” red icon was not available in the System Tray. In my attempt to rectify that problem I encountered the “SG” advisory indicating that SpywareGuard was currently running and I was further advised to “Close all instances of it now, then click “OK” to continue or “Cancel” to exit. It then became apparent (since the closing procedure required access to the “SG” red icon) that I had encountered what appeared to be a “Catch 22” situation. Consequently, since the “SG” red icon was not available in the System Tray, it was equally apparent that I could neither uninstall nor reinstall the “SG” software. Are there any suggestions or proposed resolutions to properly address this “You Can't Get There From Here” issue? o_O

JAK

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey JAK,

If you bring up Task Manager(Ctrl\Alt\Del)....and according to how you have your SpyGuard settings....you should have a sgmain.exe process and maybe a sgbhp.exe process running. If you End Process on both of those....can you now go further in your attempts ?

3. JAK-KE

JAK-KE Registered Member

Bubba,

Thanks for your prompt response, but in the essence of brevity I omitted the fact that I had also explored the possibility of accessing all open and active “SG” functions through the Task Manager Utility and found no evidence that any “SG” processes were running. I then opened the “SG” folder and again attempted to remove and re-install the “SG” software. Once again I encountered the “SG” advisory indicating that SpywareGuard was currently running and I was further advised to “Close all instances of it now, then click “OK” to continue or Cancel to exit. Hence my reference to “Catch 22” because it was painfully apparent that since the closing procedure required access to the “SG” red icon…..and the “SG” red icon was not available in the System Tray, I had again encountered the “You Can't Get There From Here” situation!

To eliminate the possibility that I was overlooking an obvious solution, I rebooted my system and I repeated this Trouble-shooting process several times …… unfortunately I arrived at the same conclusion each time and the “SG” red icon was still not available in the System Tray. I further explored the possibility that the “SG” red icon had been unintentionally hidden or deactivated by checking the properties of the Task Bar and Start Menu. When that exploratory effort revealed nothing positive, I even attempted to add the “SG” icon to the Task Bar with the program running in the background. Unfortunately, that effort proved to be fruitless also.

At that point I used various system maintenance and security software including; Norton’s System Works, SpyBot, SpyBlaster, Spy Sweeper, Ad-Aware and Process Guard, to initiate a complete system maintenance routine including all the general scans, system checks including optimization of the internal structure of the registry.
    Following the completion of all the security and maintenance functions associated with referenced software, I rebooted my system and the SpywareGuard “SG” red icon was once again available in the System Tray and all appeared to be “Right with the World”.

I wish to make this information available to all inquiring minds for both evaluation and review because I have a very distinct and pronounced aversion to such (as of yet) unexplained software anomalies that seemingly suggest or require that we coexist with and/or tolerate such allusive gremlins that randomly appear, disappear and then reappear. I fully support a “Zero Tolerance” factor for such troublesome software anomalies and propose that such ambiguous phenomena be clearly identified, authoritatively confirmed and expeditiously eradicated or exterminated.

JAK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.