sfc /scannow message:There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to compe

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by nine9s, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nine9s

nine9s Registered Member

My computer took longer to boot than normal earlier this week. After the second time it did this, I ran SFC /scannow to check if any Windows files were corrupted and got this message "There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete" I went through the reboot and it did the windows update screen where it shows % of progress and warns not to turn off machine etc.

After my PC rebooted, I ran SFC /scannow again and it went through its normal scan. It reported no integrity issues. And now my PC boots as fast as it did before.

I assume the prompt to finish a system repair was some Windows update that did not finish or something. But today I thought perhaps it was malware tricking Windows to install it (I am just paranoid, no reason I was thinking this other than what I described above.)

I ran an Avast full scan, which is the antivirus I use, and it found no problems. I then did a boot scan with Avast, and it found no problems.

A Malwarebytes Anti-Malware full scan found no problems.

I downloaded Microsoft Virus Remover, ran it and it found no problems.

I downloaded Emisoft Emergency Kit, updated it, ran a deep scan with it, and it found no problem.

Should I feel relatively safe in regards to the earlier "reboot" message from SFC /scannow (Basically, was it likely a Windows update - could malware trick Windows into going through that process - and if it did, would all those scans I did, have likely found it?)

signed - paranoid : )

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

A Google search for "There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete" shows that others sometimes get this message when running sfc, so I wouldn't worry about malware in this case.

3. nine9s

nine9s Registered Member

Thanks. It just seemed strange since the last Windows update was about a week before, and I shutdown my machine every day, so it seems the update would have finished. But perhaps SFC repaired something that required a reboot versus it being a lingering Windows update as I was assuming that it was.

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Yes, as Brian said it's nothing to worry about. I've seen the same message many times.

5. nine9s

nine9s Registered Member

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.