sfc /scannow message:There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to compe

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by nine9s, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nine9s

nine9s Registered Member

My computer took longer to boot than normal earlier this week. After the second time it did this, I ran SFC /scannow to check if any Windows files were corrupted and got this message "There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete" I went through the reboot and it did the windows update screen where it shows % of progress and warns not to turn off machine etc.

After my PC rebooted, I ran SFC /scannow again and it went through its normal scan. It reported no integrity issues. And now my PC boots as fast as it did before.

I assume the prompt to finish a system repair was some Windows update that did not finish or something. But today I thought perhaps it was malware tricking Windows to install it (I am just paranoid, no reason I was thinking this other than what I described above.)

I ran an Avast full scan, which is the antivirus I use, and it found no problems. I then did a boot scan with Avast, and it found no problems.

A Malwarebytes Anti-Malware full scan found no problems.

I downloaded Microsoft Virus Remover, ran it and it found no problems.

I downloaded Emisoft Emergency Kit, updated it, ran a deep scan with it, and it found no problem.

Should I feel relatively safe in regards to the earlier "reboot" message from SFC /scannow (Basically, was it likely a Windows update - could malware trick Windows into going through that process - and if it did, would all those scans I did, have likely found it?)

signed - paranoid : )

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

A Google search for "There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete" shows that others sometimes get this message when running sfc, so I wouldn't worry about malware in this case.

3. nine9s

nine9s Registered Member

Thanks. It just seemed strange since the last Windows update was about a week before, and I shutdown my machine every day, so it seems the update would have finished. But perhaps SFC repaired something that required a reboot versus it being a lingering Windows update as I was assuming that it was.

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Yes, as Brian said it's nothing to worry about. I've seen the same message many times.

5. nine9s

nine9s Registered Member

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.