Several Problems Upgrading from TI 7 to TI 8

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by leehigdon3, Nov 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leehigdon3

leehigdon3 Registered Member

I'll try to keep this as short as I can.

Yesterday evening, I uninstalled TI 7 and and installed TI 8.

I have a Compaq Presario 6370US with a 2.54 MH Pentium 4 processor running XP SP2. Other resident software of note are WinPatrol 8.0.1.0, NOD32 2.12.3 and BOClean 4.11.

Immediately after installation and reboot, I noticed the fan was running high speed and a lot of disk activity, which usually means high processor utilization. After about 30 seconds it calmed down and the first task I thought I'd complete is burning a boot CD.

That entire exercise didn't go well, at all. o_O The process would repeatedly freeze, my mouse would freeze (USB mouse) as would any response at all from my system. Each freeze would last for about 10 to 15 seconds. Finally at the end, I'd get an error message that the boot CD could complete. What's really strange is that in looking in device manager and my computer, my CD and DVD drives disappered! Completely! I rebooted several times and got the exact same results, following this process. Rebooting into safe mode to try burning the CD didn't work either, except that I didn't get the high disk activity and processor utilization I had before. Still could not get boot CD to burn.

After some time, I just decided this isn't going to work and uninstalled version 8, did a system restore and reinstalled version 7. This brought me back to my normal condidtion and, of course, version 7 works perfectly, including my ability to make a boot CD.

If anyone has any suggestions here, I'm willing to try them, since I know how to get back to normal if things don't work. I'd like to try to make it work, if this doesn't mean I have to devote a week of my personal time, before I contact Acronis for a refund ( I'm assuming that's still an option).

Sorry for the length. Am trying to anticipate information someone might need to be able to offer some suggestions.

Thanks and regards.

2. leehigdon3

Sorry. The above should read:

"Finally at the end, I'd get an error message that the boot CD could *not* complete."

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi leehigdon3

Did you try another uninstall TI 7/install TI 8 as mentioned in my reply to your other thread? If that fails again then, despite my previous advice about uninstalling TI 7 first, try installing TI 8 over the top of TI 7.

As has been said a number of times before, TI's install/uninstall routines can be somewhat flakey.

Regards

4. leehigdon3

No, I did not use Total Uninstall to monitor the installation of TI 8.

Any product whose installation would require that level of tender love and care to pull off isn't something I want to fool with ;)

After uninstalling TI 8, I first did a system restore back to before the time I installed TI 8 and *then* reinstalled TI 7. So, my registry should not be riddled with TI 8 registry debris.

What I may try is making another restore point, then installing TI 8 over TI 7. If that doesn't work, I can always uninstall TI and restore back to pre TI 8 installation, then reinstall TI 7. And of course, then I'll request a refund and just wait and see.

You know, with all the problems in this forum, I would have never even tried TI 8, had not my corporate IT administrator convinced me to upgrade because of a *small* issue I had with a company laptop, restoring it recently using TI 7. The guy had to disconnect and reconnect my system from our LAN to get it to sync up. I'm gonna kill that guy when i get hold of him ;).

Thanks for your help.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello leehigdon3,

Could you please do the following?

- Open Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Information;
    - Select the System Information item;
    - Choose the Save As System Information File option in the File menu (or Action under Windows 2000);
    - Send the saved file to support@acronis.com.

The problem you have described is really strange and we should investigate it thoroughly.

Thank you.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  6. leehigdon3

Sure, will do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.