Setup for fresh Windows 8 Pro install

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Archs, Dec 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archs

Archs Registered Member

Hello. I'm planning to format my laptop's hard drive and install Windows 8 Pro 64-bit. I just have a couple questions regarding the optimal set up for installation.

1. First, I was planning on using DBAN to erase the hard drive. Will that erase everything including the MBR?
    2. After, I usually use Sandboxie, but Windows 8 is not fully compatible with it. As an alternative I was considering going with the Comodo Internet Suite with the built-in sandbox. If I manually set up Comodo to run my web browser in a sandbox, does it offer the same level of protection as Sandboxie?
    Also, would that allow me to download a exe and run it in a virtual environment and still be secure?
    3. Does anyone have a recommendation for a password manager. I was considering LastPass, but I don't like the idea of having it back up everything online. I prefer to keep everything local and manually create a backup. I don't think there is a way to do this on LastPass, unless they changed it recently.
    4. I wanted to encrypt my entire hard drive because I will be bringing this laptop around to a lot of places. Windows 8 Pro comes with Bitlocker. Is that a good choice or should I use full disk encryption with TrueCrypt or another program.
    5. I was debating which web browser I should go with. Google Chrome has a sandbox built in, so if I use Comodo's sandbox, it would be a sandbox-in-a-sandbox. Is that option a lot more secure than simply running Firefox in a sandbox.
    6. Is it possible with the Comodo Sandbox to install Flash into its own sandbox with Firefox? I'd prefer not to have Flash on my main system.
    7. As for a VPN, does anyone have an experience with Mullvad? I want to use it when I'm on public wifi networks.
    8. Does anyone have a list of programs to intall or can point me to a thead that lists them?

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.