Setup 15 identical systems

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wbtech, May 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wbtech

wbtech Registered Member

We have 15 identical PCs arriving soon that need to be setup identically. The PCs are used to control high speed data recorders so they don't have typical office software installed. Each PC will have Windows XP SP2, Acronis True Image 9, dvd writing software, and our software. We will purchase 15 copies of TI and the dvd writing software. I think this is what I need to do:
    1. Install TI and setup Secure Zone etc
    2. Install dvd writing software
    3. Install our software
    4. other Windows configuration, as necessary
    5. run sysprep
    6. create image using TI
    7. create boot CD using TI
    8. copy image to dvd
    Now I should have a good image to use on the other 14 PCs.
    1. boot PC with TI boot CD
    2. restore image on dvd
    Sysprep will have taken care of the Windows XP key, but TI and the dvd writing software will have the same serial # on all 15 PCs. Is there a way to change the serial # of TI on the PCs?

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

It seems to me that if you're only going to add the DVD writing software, the TI software, and your special software, it may be just as quick to do each one individually than to go through the SysPrep routine, make an Image and then Restore to the 14 systems.

You'll be less likely to run into problems that way.

After that is done, make a backup Image for each machine.

BTW, if you intend to burn a backup Image directly to dvd media, that alone may or may not work - it involves formatting the media first with packet writing software. Some people are able to do it, while most run into problems. Better to do it using the 2-step method where the image is first saved to another hard drive and then burned like regular data (no formatting) to a dvd.

3. wbtech

wbtech Registered Member

The list I gave for each PC's setup is abbreviated. It takes about 45 minutes to setup each PC after taking it out of the box.

I've already tested TI on this hardware configuration. The image does not fill one DVD. I used the 2 step method Chutsman referred to.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't know exactly the dispostition of these machines and the importance of an unique serial number but a lot of companies install software in a similar manner and keep good records showing that the number of licenses purchased matches the number of copies in use. If these machines are leaving your control and going to various customers then this is not a good method.

5. wbtech

wbtech Registered Member

These computers are shipped to customers so they need to have the correct serial # on installed software.

6. wbtech

wbtech Registered Member

I need a response from Acronis before we begin using True Image.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello wbtech,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

First of all, please be aware that if all of your computers have an absolutely identical hardware configuration then the scheme you described in your initial post is the best way to achieve your goal. The only thing I would change is to switch points 5, 6 and 7 in the following way:

5. Create Bootable Rescue CD;

6. Prepare Windows for transferring using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (sysprep) as it is described in this FAQ article;

7. Boot the computer from the beforehand created Bootable Rescue CD and create an image of the entire hard drive containing the prepared operating system;

I'm afraid that there is no way to install Acronis True Image on several computers using the corresponding serial number for each machine other than do a separate install of Acronis True Image for each of these machines. In other words, there is no way to change the serial number after Acronis True Image is installed other than uninstall Acronis True Image (Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image) and then reinstall it using another serial number. However, in your particular case there should not be any problems installing Acronis True Image on several machines using the same serial number. You'll be within the limits of the license agreement until the amount of Acronis True Image installations coincides with the number of purchased licenses (according to Acronis software licensing policy, you should purchase one copy of Acronis program per every computer where it will be used).

Please note that according to Acronis End-User License Agreement (see page 3 of Acronis True Image 9.0 User's Guide), "the license is to the original purchaser only, and is not transferable without prior written permission from Acronis", "the original purchaser cannot engage in, nor permit third parties to engage in, any of the following..."

If you are willing to resell Acronis software or implement it in your own production then you should contact Acronis Sales Team (sales@acronis.com) and sign the corresponding agreement. We have a flexible system of discounts and the amount of the discount varies depending on the number of copies you want to purchase. We also provide special pricing for our OEM, reseller and other partners.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

8. wbtech

wbtech Registered Member

I emailed the Aconis sales team on 5/24/06 at 8:31am EST and have not received a reply. How are we supposed to use/sell your products when Acronis refuses to communicate with us?:mad:

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello wbtech,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for your inconvenience.

Could you please provide us with your full name, full company name along with your e-mail and/or phone number via Private Message? I will forward this information to our Sales Team and you will be contacted as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.