Settings for a blind user

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by nonmirecordo, Mar 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nonmirecordo

nonmirecordo Registered Member

I'm about to purchase and install NOD for a totally-blind neighbour who has to rely on screen reader software. I would like him to be completely oblivious to as much as possible to minimize his being bombarded with spoken information.

Is 'silent mode' the best solution' or is there anything else that might help?

2. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

I think the blind users we helped setup did NOT want silent mode - because the popup when an update occurs helped them to know that nod32 was still updating.

The problem with silent mode, is that not getting the popups also prevents the "your subscription is about to expire" popup!

I know they wanted the pretty graphics gone, and I'm not sure if that's to work better with the reader software, but it will definitely save RAM.

3. nonmirecordo

Ok. But if I don't choose the 'offer' option will he still see/hear the confirmatory balloon?
    Ah! Good point.
    What pretty graphics?

4. webyourbusiness

by pretty graphics, I meant they had us turn off the custom graphics - in control center, nod32 system setup - "Use ESET custom graphical user interface". It saves ram and I run it that way on my machine too - I don't care if it's green/turquioise - I want an AV - who cares if it is "pretty"? (yes, I know some do).

5. nonmirecordo

OK - thanks for your help.

6. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I think updates and about to expire would not be what's concerned here...rather...the actions done upon detection. Do you want it jumping up on screen asking what to do with any threat it finds? Or do you want to run through the settings for each module...and set it as automatic as possible..delete for all file types, etc.

7. webyourbusiness

true - I forget that it doesn't go without saying (because it does in our office) - my suggestions would be to use blackspears secttings as a basis, and the other stuff is ADDITIONAL.

8. pain4gain

pain4gain Registered Member

You may already know this but just in case here are a couple helpful tips you could pass along....

#1 - Under NOD32 Control Center > NOD32 System Tools > NOD32 System Setup > Setup, uncheck the box for "Use ESET custom graphical user interface". I believe that is already a "MUST" for the software (used by the visually impaired) to work.

#2 - Once #1 is completed, when you click on AMON for example, in order to tab over to that window from the NOD32 Control Center do [CTRL +TAB].

9. nonmirecordo

Thanks for all that, guys. I'll read and digest!

I think my overall aim was for my neighbour to have as little to do as possible - he is not super-PC literate, he uses a PC at work (where all the techy stuff is taken care of) but this is his first 'personal' PC.

Auto-deleting threats sounds good.

I think we will have to play it by ear initially (pun not intended).

10. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.