Settings Firewall ESS (Business ed.)

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by ramons, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ramons

ramons Registered Member

Hi,

The settings for the Firewall ESS ...o_O?

Bye

ramons

2. s4u

s4u Registered Member

what about the settings?
    What is your question?

3. ramons

ramons Registered Member

My question is: how I can neutralize attacks to my computer with the ESS firewall and how can show the outsiders' IP

Bye

ramons

PS

I do not want to put risk my activity because of these situations.
    Do you think that it is maybe necessary to use also a router?

4. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

why do you have the business edition (minimum 5 pc's license) & no router?

5. ramons

ramons Registered Member

Exact:

I have ESS Business Edition (acquired online yesterday on betterantivirus),
    for 5 PC and I do not have still a Router because simply I do not know what not to buy.
    It is for that I ask info.

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

It will always be better to have something kill most of the attacks before they even touch the machines but it is not a must . You can do the same with a software firewall (such as ESET Personal firewall) which is included in ESS . The settings - well , you are the boss , the firewall is automated and depending on your needs you can configure it the way you need/like .

Read this :
    http://www.eset.com/download/ESET_ESS_User_Guide_EN.pdf

7. ramons

ramons Registered Member

In fact I have read the guide of reference (from mailed you) of the ESS, but being profane in matter I exactly had need of knowing in that way to use all these variable ones described on the text, a configuration method type

a)
    b)
    etc.
    In order to render 2 PC protect from external intrusions.

Thanks

8. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

I'd suggest using a router. If you plan on having all 5 computers connected to the internet it's the best option. If each one has it's own connection you'll need a modem for each. That could be a problem. Or if you just connect all of the computers together in a chain then if you turn one computer off you lose it to the others.

Routers have a firewall but I feel the need for a software firewall too. I need the outbound application control. Though I've always had antivirus, I caught one that tried to send off my bank numbers to someone. Luckily the outbound app control caught it and saved me from this. I wasn't using ESET products back then.

Edited: I forgot to mention Windows Firewall in XP has no outbound control. I don't know about Vista.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  9. ramons

ramons Registered Member

1)Well,

To this point, than router to acquire?

2) However, besides the router, seen the remarkable acquaintance technical of the members of this forum, I repeat that I appreciate to know a good configuration of the ESS, possibly with of the examples and indications.

Thanks to all

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

We don't know your configuration and that is why it is hard for any of us to do it . I'll try but there are really many variables nobody knows:

1. You have 5 computer , right, are they all networked ?
    2. Do you share network resourses (files,printers)?
    3. Do you use P2P applications ?
    4. Do you use Internet connection sharing ?
    5. Will there be any other application which is a "network application" ? I mean they work so that they require network access to another machine on the network ?

All the above questions are needed so that we understand your network "habits" and tell you what mode is perhaps more appropriate for you.

In all ways , ESS's firewall has been working in Automatic mode since the time you installed it - this is by default . Automatic mode allows the ougoing traffic by any application which is approved by the anti-malware part but denies any incoming connections unless requested by an application already inside your PC and already establishing outgoing request.

Interactive mode uses a few standart predefined rules but generally it asks for any application for any kind of access . E.g. it will pop-up any time there is something wanting incoming access (including when there is an attack) , it will pop-up any time an application wants outgoing access . It also suppors rule-creating so that you predefine in details what access you want to grant to any application

11. stueycaster

I was hoping you'd answer that HiTech. :thumb: I'm certain you know more about it than I do. :)

That was a good answer.

12. ramons

ramons Registered Member

[/QUOTE]

Hi,

1) there are 2 PC (that they will salt in the future to 4) connected through switch to a modem ADSL (shared line therefore, but PC Independent between they)

2) at the moment not there are printing sharings of etc.

3) The Internet service is shared in the 2 PC (with the same IP)

4) Occasional use of Emule (rare)

These are the indications that I can give to you, in the 2 PC are installed in both the ESS.

The firewall now is settings (Strict protection) and automatic rifle, but on a test that I have tried to make today in net says to me that practically the system is uncertain with various possibility of income.

Thanks

Attached Files:

13. ASpace

ASpace Guest

My answer will devide into 2 parts . here they are:

Hopefully you didn't get in a rush and bought a router . DSL/ADSL modems nowadays include NAT which makes the modem a NAT device , which is a kind of router . If you have your modem not to route a specific port to the machines , you don't need a router because you are already sitting behind one . Check your modem settings (some ISPs do not allow the customer to edit the modem settings so you might need to contact your ISP if the modem is not yours).

If you are using Strict protection and Automatic mode you are already covered (a.k.a protected) . The test you show us is actually testing your ADSL modem , not the computers themselves. :thumb:

Part 2 of the answer:

P2P applications require incoming connections and ports opened ~constantly . That is why they are a bit risky . Eset Smart Security - in automatic mode - will block incoming connections and will stealth ports . You may have problems with EMule in Automatic mode of ESS . That is why if you want to use EMule and if you have problems , you must switch at least temporary to Interactive Mode .

If in future you do file and printer sharing , you can use any mode you like but not with Strict protection but in "Allow sharing" mode

Hope that helps! :thumb:

14. ramons

ramons Registered Member

Many thanks of the help :D

I continued to use the way then (automatic plus strict).

I see also to this point the possibility to change modem.

Best Regards

ramons

15. stueycaster

Sorry, I didn't know that. I use a cable modem. I'll keep my mouth shut now. :gack:

16. ASpace

ASpace Guest

No worries .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.