Setting up proxo, privoxy and tor?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by notageek, Jul 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Last edited: Jul 5, 2005
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

Yes, it's easier with just freesocks+proxo, particularly if you are not a geek.

I managed the Proxo+Privoxy+Tor trick myself, just to avoid DNS leaks, but that's because I'm tied to proxo cos of my own special filter sets.

Most people would be just better off using Privoxy+Tor.

4. notageek

Thanks ronjor.

Pollmaster don't let the name fool you. ;) I would rather use Proxo myself becuase I made filters for it myself. I have read everything on how to set up privoxy, proxo and tor and did everything down to the letter and still must be missing something.

5. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

Being a geek is relative I bet. Among the masses, everyone here is probably a geek :) If you are *really* a geek , you should have figured out the problem.

In any case, I have a pretty good idea at why your config doesn't work

This left out a couple of critical steps.

This thread is overly complicated,so whose instructions are you following? If you follow only Jak's instructions, there is a critical error in the instructions that is explained in page 4 but he does not amend his instructions.

6. trythis

trythis Guest

Here's the page I used to figure out how to set up Privoxy and Tor. http://tor.freehaven.net/cvs/tor/doc/tor-doc-win32.html It helped me a lot in figuring out exactly how to set up Tor and Privoxy. Just follow the step by step instructions (complete with pictures ;) ) and you should be good to go. Hth.

7. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

What Notageek is talking about is Tor + Proxo + Privoxy, that's a little harder than just Tor and Privoxy!

8. notageek

Yeah I followed Jak's instructions. I read the whole post also. I'm missing samething. I know I am.

Trythis, I'm trying to set up Proxo + Privoxy + tor.

Can I set up Proxo and to together without Provoxy or Sockcap or freecap?

9. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

Okay let me see if I can help you.

Please post exact details of the filters you imported from Jak instructions to proxo.

Also post exact details of privoxy.

I also need to know the following

1) Is the checkbox "use remote proxy" checked or unchecked?

I'm guessing what is fouling you up is the next step

2) Click on the proxy button, make sure that there is only ONE http proxy indicated in the list. Typically 127.0.0.1:8118

This step isn't usually necessary, except for a mistake in Jak's filters.

No. Proxo doesn't handling socks protocol.

10. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

Here's my little summary of setting up Privoxy, Proxomitron and Tor ^_^

1) Setting up Proxomitron

Set the "Remote Proxy" as:

127.0.0.1:8118

And add a tick to the 'Use a Remote Proxy' box.

This should be it ^_^

2) Setting up Privoxy

For the following two files in Privoxy's folder (C:\Program Files\Privoxy), modify to match the following (Make sure Privoxy is closed):

config.txt

default.action

standard.action

3) Using the three altogether

For the browser of your choice, set the HTTP (or HTTPS as well) Proxy Server as:

Server: 127.0.0.1
    Port: 8080

As you noticed, this is the default setting for Proxomitron. (If you have set Proxomitron to use a different port, then change as needed).

Start up Tor, Privoxy and Proxomitron, and go to a webpage, Torified ^_^

This setup makes it so that requests from your computer go through Proxomitron, then Privoxy, then Tor.

BTW, I've posted this as well in that topic on my forums, and I've also added a link to that post in the first post in that topic :)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2005
  11. notageek

Thanks Kye-u. I got it to work via your instructions. :)

12. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

Bah! Kye showed you the easy way. My/Jak's way , I don't need to select the "use remote proxy box" and it still works. :))

13. notageek

What's your way?

14. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

I guess the other way would be to use a Header filter such as the following in Proxomitron:

Code:
    [HTTP headers]
    In = FALSE
    Out = TRUE
    Key = "URL: Use Tor (Out)"
    Replace = "$USEPROXY(127.0.0.1:8118)"

15. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

A bit too geeky for you , I think but it's a variant of Kyle the proxgod's post below yours.

16. notageek

LOL a bit too geeky for me.

17. mockison500

mockison500 Registered Member

I have a few questions and it looks like I finally found the place to ask them.
    I am using Tor and privoxy for web browsing, and sockscap and freecap both seem to work to socksify other appz such as mIRC and AIM. My concern is the [warn] message in Tor saying you are giving Tor only IP address applications that do dns resolve themselfs may leak....I have been trying to get some solid info on this. Is this because sockscap and freecap resolve the dns remotely and then pass it on to Tor. Is Tor just warning me anyway not aware that I am using sockscap or freecap or is my dns truly leaking. Is there a way to test in mIRC or AIM to see if it's leaking?

The only time that I get a [warn] message when using irc is when I accept a xdcc send.

Do I have to configure the direct connections and add extra ports in freecap and sockscap for it to work correctly with mIRC and AIM file transfers?

What is the benefit of proxo? Isn't Tor and Privoxy good enough together?

My goal is to be anon when using IE mIRC and AIM>>>>

If someone could break this down for me I would really appreciate it. I have been told many different things and need some real light to be shed on this subject!

18. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

Tor gives you the warming that your connection *might* be leaking, when it receives a straight ip address, as composed to a doman name because it assumes/guesses that a DNS lookup was done via normal means (the so called leak which i assume you know the consequences of) before the ip address was obtained and passed to it.

In some cases this might not be the case. For example I have clients that can be (and are) configured to connect directly based on ip addresses, so there is no DNS lookups at all.

If the client only accepts connections via Domainnames, you could also stick in the ip addresses into the hosts file, so no DNS lookup is done at all. Tor will still complain about leaking though it is wrong here.

There's probably a clever way to do this, but for now my brain is drawing a blank. It all depends on how the app is connecting does it actually connect using DNs or ip addresses or both? For me, when I use a IRC client for a irc channel I visit often, I find it's ip address (various online services exist) then stick it into the irc connections.

So for example I put 207.44.192.90::6667 instead of randomservername:6677 so no DNS lookup is necessary. Tor will complain of course, but no actually leak occurs.

Can't say,haven't tried.

None, people are just more comfortable with Proxo.

19. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

Proxomitron is for those who wish to have some control over the web. (Filter headers and advertisements and much more) You don't need to have Proxomitron to use Tor.

20. notageek

I use tor > proxo > Privoxy together and it works just fine. Now that mockison posted that it gots me wondering. Does Tor leak with Proxo > Privoxy > tor together?

21. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

With Privoxy, it should prevent any DNS leak :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.