Setting up MWAV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by patermann, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patermann

patermann Registered Member

After reading about the MWAV toolkit in several threads in this forum, I decided to try it out. However, I cannot find any details of how to set it up or use it which might explain why I am getting some very strange things happening! I have downloaded both the latest (scan-only) version and the older v4.4.7 which includes the clean function. I decided to try the new scan-only version first and this is what I found:

On running the install, it skipped straight through the "install path" dialog and installed it in the temp directory. There was no opportunity to install it anywhere else.

Despite being scan-only, when I ran the scan, the program decided that some registry entries needed fixing and just did it. I do not like any program to fix things without getting my permission, especially when it is the registry. Fortunately, the changes were ok in this case but that is not the point.

Because I clean out my temp directory regularly, I decided that I wanted to install MWAV somewhere else. Therefore I opened the exe in WinZip and extracted the contents to a directory called eScan in the root of the C: drive. I then used DTM's batch file to run it.

First I ran the updater. This created two new directories in the root of the C: drive - Bases_X and Download. These seem to contain exactly the same files as each other apart from a few extra .klc files the latter. The .avc etc. files in the eScan directory were unchanged so, as the new versions were in Bases_X, I deleted the ones in eScan.

Then I tried to run the scan but the program would not start because it said that it could not find the .avc files. So I ended up copying the contents of the Bases_X directory into the eScan directory. The scan program then ran ok. I tried a few scans with no more problems so I exited the program.

When I looked in the eScan directory, there were now two new sub-directories: Bases_X and Download, both of which contained copies of all of the .avc files etc.!!! I thought that perhaps the updater had created the ones in the root of C: because the sub-directories did not exist so I deleted the ones in the root. However, when I next ran the updater, it recreated the directories in the root and did not touch the sub-directories in eScan.

So the way things are at the moment, it looks as though I have to run the updater which puts the files in the two root directories and then copy all of the files in Bases_X into the eScan directory. The scan program then copies them into the two eScan sub-directories, making 5 copies of the .avc files in all. Phew!

I then tried the older v4.4.7 version but in scan-only mode while I checked it out. This did allow me to specify where to install it (Kaspersky by default) but I ran into a similar problem with the updater. This time the updater created directories in the root called Bases and Downloads (note the 's' on the end of Downloads). I still needed to copy the contents of the Bases directory into the Kaspersky directory but thankfully this version of the scanner did not create the sub-directories. However, this does mean that, if I use both versions of the program separately, I will have 8 copies of the .avc files on the disk. I feel that this is all somewhat excessive. ;)

Is this really necessary? Are there some settings somewhere that would tidy this all up so that I do not have to have multiple copies of the definitions scattered over the hard disk? Please help before I lose what little hair I have left!

Sorry about the long post and thanks in advance,
    patermann

2. shek

shek Registered Member

What i use is the 4.4.7 version. Here is my setup.
    1. I extract all files to a folder, D:\escan.
    2. get some kaspersky ftp server addresses from kaspersky's website. my default is ftp://downloads-us1.kaspersky-labs.com/updates_x
    3. then i use ftp client, such as filezilla, to login in to the server. there are two panals in the filezilla. one is for local folder, i set it default d:\escan. the other one is remote server.
    4. sort both panal by modified date( by clicking on the date tab) so that by comparing the difference on the dates i could find out which files i need to download. for example, the latest date for the files in local folder is 4pm may 18 2005. then you have to select all the files created or modified after that time on the sever. then drag and drop these files from remote sever to the local panal. please remember you have to enable the option of preserving the dates/time of the downloaded files, which is located at edit->setting->file transfer setting.
    5. after that all will be done.
    the advantage of this will be i don't have so many folders created by escan, which contain copies of virus definition. although it seems like a little bit complicated, it just takes me about 10s to complete the whole process when i get used to it.

hope this help.

shek

Last edited: May 18, 2005
  3. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

I tried MWAV on an older computer I have and man it is a great scanner but I just cannot deal with how confusing it can be to setup and update. I have not put it on my main machine because I am still not 100% sure about how to update it and I hate having extra folders and such in my system root.

4. shek

shek Registered Member

Matt Smi--

there are copies of virus definition inside the extra folders, which won't hurt you. the simpliest way to update it is to use the built-in update program. if you don't want the extra folders, you could follow my suggestion mentioned above.

Last edited: May 18, 2005
  5. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

6. patermann

patermann Registered Member

Thanks for that but, in fact, it was likuidkewl's batch file that I was using. (I couldn't remember where I got it from but it said that the author was "DTM" in the header so I called it DTM's batch file in my original post.) Maybe I am missing something but I had to modify the batch file to copy the defs from the Bases(_X) directory to the eScan directory after updating so that the scan would run.

Thanks to shek for the FTP suggestion. Obviously it is not as convenient as using kavupd but effective and much more controllable! I will try that.

patermann

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.