Setting up local network problems + problems with Outlook express

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Palombaro, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palombaro

Palombaro Registered Member

1) I have installed the trial version on my PC which is connected to my home network. Prior to installing ESS I had no problems with the network either with sharing printer or files. On installing ESS I tried the interactive mode ( because it most closely replicates how I use Sygate) of filtering on the firewall and on Personal Firewall -> Rules and zones , I set to 'Allow sharing'. Strangely I had no problem with printer sharing - it is connected to PC- but couldn't get any of the computers on the network to acknowledge the existence of any other computers and of course was not able to share files. I also tried Automatic filtering but to no avail. Is there anything else that I should have done?
    On uninstalling ESS and returning to my my Sygate plus AVG set up the problems disappeared without having to change any settings.

2) Outlook Express also appears to behave strangely. Has to be clicked on twice before it boots up and then often freezes. Once again once ESS was uninstalled bizarre behaviour stopped. On my laptop , but not my PC, ESS blocks access to Internet even after setting a rule on Interactive mode to always allow. On automatic mode it also blocks OE.

Any ideas would be gratefully received
    Thanks

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  2. Palombaro

Palombaro Registered Member

Ok I have solved the networking problem. My mistake was not have all the computers on and accessing the network at the time of installing ESS.

However the problem with MS Outlook Express. Strange that there should be an issue now on Laptop (XP professional) and PC ( XP Home) .
    When you click on OE to boot it up there is a flash of the blue OE standard precursor to opening and then nothing. Only when you click again does it boot up.

3. ugly

ugly Registered Member

OE launch is a known problem that's resolved with 560 version.
    There is still an issue when you close is - abut 4 sec. delay (in my case).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.