Setting up LNS behind a router

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by RDT, Feb 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RDT

RDT Registered Member

Hi,

I installed a Linksys WRT54G wireless router this weekend. I'm trying to get LNS setup on my laptop. I already have it installed on my desktop.

By following the tips listed in one of the pinned messages at the top of the forum I have gotten almost everything to work, even remote processing. I am using the Enhanced ruleset.

On my desktop I can access my network and get to both machines using Windows Explorer. But on my laptop I can only drill down to my workgroup and it won't let me access it. The error message XXX is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource.

Without LNS running (before installation) I was able to access both machines without a problem.

I am running a registered copy of LNS on my desktop and the trial version on my laptop. Can anyone spot anything I may have overlooked?

Finally can someone explain why I need that broadcasting Signal rule listed in the configuring Look in Stop with Routers message at the top of the forum. I have turned off SSID broadcast in my router configuration and I'm not sure I need this rule.

Thanks,

Rick Thompson

2. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

have you norton antivirus installed ?

if yes, do a search on this forum for "NavRegPatch2.exe" which should solve your pb.

3. RDT

RDT Registered Member

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately that did not fix it for me (even after a reboot). I've also discovered that although I can see my laptop from my desktop I can not access it. I get the same error message about not being accessible and I may not have permissions.

What I don't understand is why I was able to access all PCs from both sides right down to the directory level without LNS installed.

Rick Thompson

4. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hey RDT

I believe your problem is with rule configuring

5. Phant0m

In Look ‘n’ Stop authorize Machines by using Look ‘n’ Stop MAC Feature ;)

6. RDT

RDT Registered Member

I found the problem! I had Windows Explorer blocked from Internet access. As soon as I unblocked it I had full access. (DOH!!)

Phatom - can you help me to understand that Broadcast signal rule in the pinned message about configuring LNS with Routers? I have SSID broadcast turned off in my router and I'm not sure why I need this rule. If it is for broadcasting only within my lan I think I understand what its for. But is it going out on the Internet to? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of turning off SSID broadcast?

Thanks,

Rick Thompson

7. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

The fact that explorer.exe blocked prevent you to access your LAN interest me.

Can i know which OS do you have ?

8. RDT

RDT Registered Member

I am running Windows XP.

Rick Thompson

9. Phant0m

Hey RDT

Interesting indeed! of all the time being on Win XP-Pro I have never been required to authorize “EXPLORER.EXE” with “Connecting Rights” to be able to browse my LAN.

I easily reproduce your anomaly, this anomaly
    [VIEW ATTACHED IMAGE]

Mainly under two conditions
    * When accessing non-existing Network Path
    * Or Firewall blocking necessary Outgoings/Incoming packets

And for what has been posted in “Configuring Look'n'Stop with Routers” topic, ignore it… ;)

Attached Files:

10. RDT

RDT Registered Member

Hi Phantom,

I'm glad you can reproduce what I am seeing. I might have this thing configured right after all. I'm assuming you meant to ignore the broadcasting signal rule or do you mean everything in that topic?

Earlier you mentioned to use Look N Stop's MAC feature to authorize machines. Are you talking about that rule in the LNS FAQ to authorize the other PC? I'm already using that. I couldn't find anything in the docs on MAC other than a little blurb under editing a rule.

Rick Thompson

11. Rodehard

Rodehard Registered Member

I find that quite often shares or mapped drives created prior to a FW install have to be removed and recreated in order to work. You may not have needed shares at all prior to installing the FW but now do.

12. Phant0m

For Instances if a Mapped Drives fails to function after Installing a Software Firewall, you don’t need to re-map the drives just to get it to work like before hand, just create properly the rule or rules and re-boot Windows and it will work once again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.