setting up a virtual network

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by kensaundm31, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kensaundm31

kensaundm31 Registered Member

Hi,

I have invested in study materials for Server2003 and i thought it would be a good idea to setup a network, so i could learn by doing.

Is this possible?

What is the best virtual host software, vmware, hyper-v?

2. kensaundm31

Well i installed vmware and installed MS Server 2003 on a virtual machine.

I'm wondering now whether you can create virtual clients, and seperate machines for dns, dhcp for the 2003 sever within vmware.

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

A nice way to test this is to get vmWare ESX. If memory serves, it was free for a time, might be still.

This method allows you to host more than one virtual machine on a computer. You manage the vm's from a console. Using this method, you can host say 3 machines, play with it more indepth than putting an OS on a box then putting vmWare on it. This is the avenue I would look at if I were you.

You might be able to find a trial version of GSX as well. Been a few years since I messed with this stuff, so the versions might be much different now, but the premise likely remains the same.

Sul.

4. kensaundm31

Thanks Sully. I'll have a look at the esx version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.