Setting home page w/SpywareGuard ??

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Eduu, Oct 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eduu

Eduu Registered Member

I was using Browser Hijack Blaster and just switched to SpywareGuard. But, when I first opened IE, my homepage is already set to "about:blank" and SpywareGuard doesn't ask me if I want to change it back -it already must think that this is the home page that I want.
    I tried going to Internet Options and changing my home page to Google or whatever and closing out of IE. But when I come back into IE it still comes back to "about:blank" and I guess SpywareGuard doesn't think there's a problem.

So, how do I tell SpywareGuard what I want to be my permanent home page??
    Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2004
  2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Eduu....Welcome to Wilders :)

On the initial execution of SpywareGuard....one of the places in the registry it query's for info is the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Start Page. As it sets there running in the background(sgbho.exe)....it waits for that value to change. So if your Homepage is "already set to "about:blank"....SpywareGuard should NOT ask you to change it back....unless I am totally missing your point.

If ....when you installed SpywareGuard....you did not disable any of the default selections....or....If, for some reason SpywareGuards BHO(sgbho.exe) did not get loaded....SpywareGuard should have alerted you to the fact that you attempted to change your Home page to Google.

Perhaps I'm not quite understanding your wording and I do not want to assume wrongly concerning your use of the words about:blank. So....if you do not mind....Please answer a few questions.

1)Is IE's Homepage setting of Use Blank....what your wanting your Homepage to be ?
    2)When you open up SpywareGuards GUI....are all 3 selections(Real-time Scanning, Download Protection, Browser Hijack Protection).... selected ?

3. Eduu

Eduu Registered Member

Thanks for helping on this..
    Basically, what is going on is that this damn "about:blank" thing is set as the home page and, I think, SG thinks that I actually want it as my home page but I do not. WHen I open IE, this "about:blank" is there but SG doesn't alert me to any change and I can't get it back to what I want. How does SG know what I actually want my home page to be?
    I do have all of those selections selected as you asked. I haven't changed any of the defaults.

Also, I had seen in another post where someone was having trouble with the live update. It seems to get stuck when I run it. But I do show that 1/22/04 is the latest def file. Do you think it's working correctly? And, is this the latest update available?

4. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Just for the heck of it, try disabling that hijack protection option, then setting your homepage to whatever you want, than re-activating the hijack protection (don't forget to save settings each time). You might need a reboot or two in the process.

Also, are you running anything else that also offers hijack protection? Specifically, Spybot S&D?

As for updates, yes you do have the most current version -- there's threads here somewhere about why it doesn't need updated very often. And I have no problem getting the nothing-new-available message if I do try Live Update.

5. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.