SETI@Home

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ArchAngel_8, Jan 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArchAngel_8

ArchAngel_8 Registered Member

Hey everybody... Just wondering if anybody out here runs SETI@Home? And if so, do you see a big difference in CPU usages between the client and the screensaver?

2. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hey Archangel_8,

You will find some general remarks over here...

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15341;start=0

and I do see a significant difference of CPU speed when I have the client window open (or screensaver active) versus the normal state when I am at the machine and the client is minimized to systray. If you are asking if there is any difference between Screensaver active versus client window opened then I do not think there is a difference there.

If I misunderstood you please let me know :)

3. ArchAngel_8

Hey Dan... Tnx for the link :D I don't see a difference between the three, client, client minimized, screensaver. Only that the client minimized preccesses the data faster....
    I wanted to leave my computer "on" and running either of the three, but I am concerned about "blowing" a notebook(CPU) that cost me $2200.... o_O Later ....... Scott

4. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Mmmm,

If you right-click on the SETI icon in the systray and select "Preferences" do you have in the "Data Analysis" section the option "Data analysis runs only when the screen saver is active or application window is maximized" checked?

Assuming you have, and assuming you are running NT/2K/XP you can press "Ctrl+Shift+Esc" to access the task manager, click on the "Processes" tab and then click on the "Image Name" column header, scroll to "SETI@home.exe".

Take note of the CPU values for the process (they may fluctuate a bit) while SETI is in the systray then open up the SETI windo so you can see the calculations in progress and while that is open take a peak at taskmgr again and you should see SETI at the significantly higher CPU utilization.

BTW, I run SETI on my PIII-700 Thinkpad and I haven't had any problems, but I usually have it running in a docking bay that leaves some ventilation space under the CPU

5. ArchAngel_8

Hey Dan.. I have it set to run in the background right now. I was under the impression that neither the client, or screen saver used so many CPU resources? checked out task manager and it fluctuates between 93% and 99% in the cpu colum(both minimized, OPEN, and screen saver mode.). I can't understand it though. I can have all of my normal system proccesses/services, TDS-3(running but not scanning), several browser tabs, my mail client, Port explorer, and Crypto suite running and I am never over 45-55% of my CPU resources. If I closed everything but basic proccesses/services and run Seti it jumps to 93-95%. The only other programs I have that use that much CPU are my Atlantis 3D sreensavers, wich behave the same way as far as resources go. Go figure..... :rolleyes:

6. ArchAngel_8

Hey Dan.. here's a couple of screen shots.. first is without SETI and the second with SETI. Notice the difference in CPU usage....

Attached Files:

7. ArchAngel_8

:p sorry here's the first shot without SETI..

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.