SetACL not working

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by m00nbl00d, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I downloaded the latest available version from the author's website, and placed it at C:\Windows\System32.

I wanted to perform some tasks; but, just in case, I wanted to test things out first. I couldn't even test anything, it simply didn't work. I kept getting an error message related to not being able to get the object (name, file)... Something like that, I can't precise the exact error message now.

I thought I could have wrote the wrong syntax, so I copied and pasted something from the author's website, and I got the same error message.

The website is: -http://helgeklein.com/setacl/
    Download link: -http://files.helgeklein.com/downloads/SetACL/current/SetACL%20(executable%20version).zip

Open cmd.exe and type SetACL.exe -on c:\Windows -ot file -actn list > C:\Users\username\Desktop\log.txt

Any braveheart would be willing to give it a run and check if it's working, and if the problem is on my end, then it should create a log in your Desktop revealing a list with the permissions in C:\Windows? :)

If it also fails with you, then it must be an issue with setacl. :doubt:

Thanks

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I will try it later today or this weekend.

Sul.

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Seemed to work ok. Here is the log

I ran this in a win7 x64 vm.

Sul.

4. m00nbl00d

Thanks for testing. I'll try it again. Not really sure why it didn't work on my side. I'm running Win 7 x86 for what is worth.

5. m00nbl00d

I tried SetACL (x86) in a relative's Windows 7 x86, and it worked. So, obviously the problem was in my system. After narrowing it down, it turns out that SetACL requires the service WebClient to be enabled. :argh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.