SetACL not working

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by m00nbl00d, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I downloaded the latest available version from the author's website, and placed it at C:\Windows\System32.

I wanted to perform some tasks; but, just in case, I wanted to test things out first. I couldn't even test anything, it simply didn't work. I kept getting an error message related to not being able to get the object (name, file)... Something like that, I can't precise the exact error message now.

I thought I could have wrote the wrong syntax, so I copied and pasted something from the author's website, and I got the same error message.

The website is: -http://helgeklein.com/setacl/
    Download link: -http://files.helgeklein.com/downloads/SetACL/current/SetACL%20(executable%20version).zip

Open cmd.exe and type SetACL.exe -on c:\Windows -ot file -actn list > C:\Users\username\Desktop\log.txt

Any braveheart would be willing to give it a run and check if it's working, and if the problem is on my end, then it should create a log in your Desktop revealing a list with the permissions in C:\Windows? :)

If it also fails with you, then it must be an issue with setacl. :doubt:

Thanks

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I will try it later today or this weekend.

Sul.

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Seemed to work ok. Here is the log

I ran this in a win7 x64 vm.

Sul.

4. m00nbl00d

Thanks for testing. I'll try it again. Not really sure why it didn't work on my side. I'm running Win 7 x86 for what is worth.

5. m00nbl00d

I tried SetACL (x86) in a relative's Windows 7 x86, and it worked. So, obviously the problem was in my system. After narrowing it down, it turns out that SetACL requires the service WebClient to be enabled. :argh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.