SetACL not working

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by m00nbl00d, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

    m00nbl00d Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2009
    Posts:
    6,623
    I downloaded the latest available version from the author's website, and placed it at C:\Windows\System32.

    I wanted to perform some tasks; but, just in case, I wanted to test things out first. I couldn't even test anything, it simply didn't work. I kept getting an error message related to not being able to get the object (name, file)... Something like that, I can't precise the exact error message now.

    I thought I could have wrote the wrong syntax, so I copied and pasted something from the author's website, and I got the same error message.

    The website is: -http://helgeklein.com/setacl/
    Download link: -http://files.helgeklein.com/downloads/SetACL/current/SetACL%20(executable%20version).zip

    Open cmd.exe and type SetACL.exe -on c:\Windows -ot file -actn list > C:\Users\username\Desktop\log.txt

    Any braveheart would be willing to give it a run and check if it's working, and if the problem is on my end, then it should create a log in your Desktop revealing a list with the permissions in C:\Windows? :)

    If it also fails with you, then it must be an issue with setacl. :doubt:

    Thanks
     
  2. Sully

    Sully Registered Member

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2005
    Posts:
    3,719
    I will try it later today or this weekend.

    Sul.
     
  3. Sully

    Sully Registered Member

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2005
    Posts:
    3,719
    Seemed to work ok. Here is the log

    I ran this in a win7 x64 vm.

    Sul.
     
  4. m00nbl00d

    m00nbl00d Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2009
    Posts:
    6,623
    Thanks for testing. I'll try it again. Not really sure why it didn't work on my side. I'm running Win 7 x86 for what is worth.
     
  5. m00nbl00d

    m00nbl00d Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2009
    Posts:
    6,623
    I tried SetACL (x86) in a relative's Windows 7 x86, and it worked. So, obviously the problem was in my system. After narrowing it down, it turns out that SetACL requires the service WebClient to be enabled. :argh:
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.