Set - Forget Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by rrrh1, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rrrh1

rrrh1 Registered Member

I have an elderly friend who has problems with his anti-virus updates and his firewall:

The anti-virus updates the program (engine) then the firewall has a fit because the program has changed, so he doesn't let the program update.

Is there a free firewall that can be trained to ignore program changes only for one folder or program group ?

I have thought that it might be safer to use XP's inbound only firewall at least the anti-virus would be kept up to date.

This is XP home by the way.

This limits some things due to no true SRP.

Thanks

rrrh1 (arch1)

2. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

What is his security setup?

Alternatives I recommend: Comodo, Online Armor, Outpost, ZoneAlarm

3. crapbag

crapbag Registered Member

:thumb: Sturdy enough. Probably be easier on your elderly friend. If they like to surf some funky sites-by accident or otherwise :D-then maybe add some sandboxing software if it's not part of their AV set up.

Or you could use a security suite of some kind. I imagine their firewalls are pre-configured to allow AV updates without fuss. See the above suggestions.

4. guest

guest Guest

There is not set a forget firewall, but probably Outpost free is the most easy to use, It has a whitelist so the known programs are allowed automatically and with every popups Outpost recomend you what to choose allow/block, base on Improvenet.
    http://www.agnitum.com/support/improvenet/description.php

Comodo Firewall also has a whitelist I would say much bigger than Outpost but when a popup appear for a new app there is no recomendation.

In both you can disable the HIPS module and leave just the firewall.

If the AV is included in the whitelist (more than probable) of Comodo or Outpost there won't be any problem or popup with the AV updates.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2011
  5. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Do you mean Firewall in Outpost Security Suite Free gives recommendation in Popups for New Apps? I haven't seen this in Outpost Firewall Old. I haven't tried Outpost Security Suite Free. If it gives recommendation in Popups for New Apps then I will give it a try. Are you sure?

Thanxx
    Naren

6. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Avast free, geswall and windows firewall.
    Avast is nice and simple but effective. Geswall will keep him out of trouble if he does stray. Windows firewall is good enough for normal home users that just check their email or read the news.
    I have this set up on my uncles computer (72 yo) and I haven't heard a peep from him in 6 months. Well at least not about his computer.

7. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

I'm currently using Outpost and yes it gives recommendations ^^

Outpost Security Suite FREE ( set Antimalware:Scan on execution / Anti-leak:Low to reduce alerts.)

8. khanyash

Can you show me a screenshot plzz? From when it started to give recommendation?

Thanxx
    Naren

9. Konata Izumi

Currently I don't have unknown programs that could trigger a popup from Outpost.
    I've been using legitimate and trusted apps and Outpost automatically configure rules for them.

10. guest

guest Guest

11. khanyash

Ohk. Smart Advisor - I know this. This is nothing but quite like Comodo's Security Description in Popup. I thought Outpost has started something new by giving recommendation like You may allow this request, You should block this request. The smart advisor is not helpful in anyway for average users in my opinion. Good for experts.

Thanxx
    Naren

12. Konata Izumi

That's why I recommend you to set anti-leak to low (only network access from changed executables are monitored.) so you won't be getting those pop-ups.

outpost will be plain, strong 2-way firewall :)
    everything will be set and forget :)

13. khanyash

Antileak set to low will ask for unknown apps connect to net, right?

What about the AV included. Is it good? Whats in it, like, signatures, heuristcs, behaviour blocker, etc?

Thanxx
    Naren

14. guest

guest Guest

The antileak set to low has nothing to do with apps trying to connect to the net, one thing is the firewall and another the HIPS.
    Any firewall with whitelist like Comodo or outpost will ask for unknown apps connect to net.
    The "antileak" or the HIPS is about app trying to access to important parts of the system, so better disable it for a novice user.

Outpost uses Virusbuster http://www.virusbuster.hu/
    A not very good AV in my opinion.

Why you dont try for your friend Comodo Fw without D+ and Avast Free or Avira Free?

I think that for your friend the most important is have the browser secure, try this combo.
    Firefox with WOT or any other similar like Bitdefender traffic light.
    Prevx safe online free
    Comodo FW (without D+ you can deactivate permanently D+ after install it)
    Avast Free AV.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2011
  15. Konata Izumi

Here's some antileak and antimalware screenshots for you.
    in the screenies below you can see that antileak set to low will monitor network access from changed executables.

I customized the settings for antimalware:
    in-depth heuristics
    scan embedded ole objects

in the advanced tab. I set antimalware to scan only on execution of all files to lower impact on system resources.

As to how strong their antimalware is, I don't know... I'm not fond of AVs
    I did not disable Outpost's antimalware since it is very light on my system.

Attached Files:

16. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

How old is this friend and what does he use a computer for?

Have you ever thought about just installing Linux and getting him off of Windows, then problems solved and in the end a much better solution for someone older and not computer savvy...

17. Konata Izumi

This I agree! :thumb:

18. rrrh1

rrrh1 Registered Member

The friend still uses some older software under windows XP.

He has problems seeing well enough to really start learning anything new.

I have been coaching him along with Zonealarm free but the nags are driving me and him both loony. I don't remember it being so pushy wanting you to upgrade in the past.

I have tested Avast 6, Windows firewall and Geswall in a virtual machine, but the only problem is even the free version of Geswall must be updated every December to keep it working. As best as I have determined you must download and install the latest (free) version every year, then reconfigure it. Has anyone had long term usage of Geswall that may confirm of disprove reinstall to to renew (free) license ?

Linux is fine with me but getting someone who is still computer phobic to use it is just too much of a hurdle. (See first line of this post).

Comodo would be a real problem I have never gotten it to stay quiet for long and if Zonealarm free spooks him he could never use Comodo.

This friend is an avid sports fan (NASCAR, Football and basketball) , email user, MS Office user...

Old dogs sometimes don't like new tricks !!

Thanks for all the suggestions...

rrrh1 (arch1)

19. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Now considering I find it Highly unlikely some Elderly person being into espionage or other fiercely illegal activities on his/her computer, then a basic firewall will surfice, i.e Windows firewall, instead of confusing the elderly person with bish bash and the likes... then again who knows what the Aged people get up to these days they could be up to all kinds of Skullduggery to pass the day by, like hacking into Government sites to Increase their pensions etc etc.. :shifty:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.