Services tab in Process Explorer?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I want to ask is there any option to see running services in sysinternals process explorer or not? I think probabaly not, but just want to be sure.
    Thanks

2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

The main window you see when you first open PE shows both running applications and active Windows services.

If you are refering to what is running inside one of the "generic" Windows services, like svchost.exe, you should right click the one you want to look at, choose Properties and then the Services Tab. The list there will show what is running under that instance of svchost.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think there is no services tab.
    Infact I was thinking to see a main services tab just like shown in What,s Running.

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Not everything will have a Services Tab as I described. Only the processes like svchost.exe that have services running "inside". Everything else is already broken out into it's own process listing.

But if you are wanting a strictly Services Tab that shows all, I'm not aware of any free tool that does that. It's not the way Windows itself does it either because Task Manager only shows the svchost.exe listings too. The benefit of Process Explorer is that if you look where I noted above, it will show what is running behind svchost, where Task Manager can't/won't...

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks HAN.
    BTW What,s Running does it. I was thinking may be there is such an option in Process Explorer as well but I found none.

Attached Files:

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

autoruns has a service tab.
    lodore

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ya but that is for start up services, not the running services, a small but significant diference.

8. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Oh, I thought you wanted a list of only running services/processes, not all. :)

BTW, What's Running is quite interesting (thanks for the link!) If you go to the Processes Tab on it and then single click (one at a time) on the instances of svchost.exe, the panel to the right can also show what Services are running under that those instances of svchost.exe.

You might find the program Starter useful too. http://members.lycos.co.uk/codestuff/products_starter.html It can list Startups, running processes and Services in a tabbed layout. I have used it for over a year and never had any problems with it.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks. I used Starter in past but I still prefer autoruns and process explorer.
    Might see it again.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Reinstaled Starter.
    It,s services tab is really nice. No need to go MMC anymore.

11. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

It's hard to choose. But i prefer What's Running, it's almost a complete app, just misses some little details.

One note: you can take a snapshot, and when things aren't doing so well, you can take another and compare snapshots, What's Running will highlight the diferences. I never really used this, so i don't know how usefull it can be, but the fact is What's Running rocks.:thumb:

It's one of those programs i long ago downloaded from reading about it in Gizmo's http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm .
    I always start here. He has quite a colection, and all in categories.:thumb:

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

To manage the Windows Services and Drivers, I use pserv.cpl... ;)

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I use mostly autoruns and process explrer and sometimes Starter, What,s Running and Serviwin( for services and Drivers).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.