Services Question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Sep 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

in the event viewer, and probably services interface you can see what user a service is running under. In the event viewer, I see three different things:

-System
    -N/A
    - my computer name / my username

i have heard it is best to run services under system. how does one control this?

- HandsOff

2. G-Force

G-Force Guest

Hi Hands,

I've wondered this myself searching high and low for answer's, discovering a reasonably complicated approach through the use of Access Token's, ACL's, Privilege's, and Security Descriptor's "oh my!" :D I'm pretty sure I'm on the right track issuing this page from the MSDN library (either that or I truly don't know what the heck I'm talking about, swap the x's too!) ....

xxxx://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/secauthz/security/access_control.asp

Further .... the use of commands such as cacls, net, netdom, sc, set, and xcacls can extend manipulation beyond the capabilities of a window's environment, much as netsh can for networking. Experiment if you dare!

xxxx://www.ss64.com/nt/

You're inquery sparked my curiosity to also locate this (neither free nor cheap, but interesting) ....

xxxx://www.scriptlogic.com/products/serviceexplorer/

If spying on security call's is in your future, Notok had approval for this utility .... ;)

xxxx://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Tokenmon.html

GF

3. HandsOff

Hi -

It's not that I am intimidated by the prospect of fleshing this out, but I believe there must be a much simpler method. I am basing this guess on something that I read that reviewed the most common reasons that windows XP will not shut down as it should. The author said, very off-handedly, something like, 'one common cause for a user profile to hang up during the saving settings phase of shut down is when services are being run by user's instead of by system or network service.' <-- sort of a clumbsy quote, but I wasn't paying much attention since they did not go on to explain how to change this, and I did not think I had any processes being run by anything but system.

[afterthough: maybe i should have added that it was because the way they said it made it sound like correcting that was a trivial matter]

...However...I seemed to have changed all that, without even trying.

in my event viewer I see this:

"The Application Management service was successfully sent a start control."

Which does not sound so bad until I see that this is running under my user profile, not system, and it is followed by:

"The Application Management service entered the stopped state."

ERROR-7023
    "The Application Management service terminated with the following error:
    The specified module could not be found."

I am hoping that this does not have to make sense to me in order for me to fix it. I will give it a go.

- HandsOff

Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  4. Hand's,

I will say one thing before proceeding ....
    I do not know the consequences of altering the account under which a service run's!

Open Services through Control Panel > Help > Help Topic's > Services > How To ... here it will be explained.

GF

5. HandsOff

I am a little closer to a solution. And the process that is responsible is Lsass.exe. that doesnt tell me everything, but I am close.

-HandsOff

PS - i am pretty sure this is not related to sasser, or Lsass exploit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.