Service will not start

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Feivel, Jun 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feivel

Feivel Registered Member

I purchased the full version of PG earlier and I guess it will be here Monday (hopefully earlier). Today I noticed a problem that I am not sure if it is PG, WG or one of the many Windows gotchas floating around. in PG I have enabled the global options #2 and 3 (Block appint and Block drivers/services). Today I noticed that the Perfect Disk engine will not start (it is a service) and previously there was no problem. I tried disabling PG and WG with no sucess but PG and WG are the only programs (running) that I have installed (I have TDS-3 and PE but they were not running). I apologize if this post should be in another forum but this was the only place I could think to post this. I tried the Windows defrag (UGH) and it works with no problem but I really want to use Perfect Disk. Anybody have any ideas (besides using Windows Defrag).

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Feivel, I believe you need to add the perfect disk main .exe into the protection list, in options give it the Allow drive / service install.

Also, this was mentioned during beta testing and if I rememer correctly, was resolved by ensuring you have the latest perfect disk updates.

HTH Pilli

3. Feivel

Feivel Registered Member

Pilli,

I tried adding the main exe to the protection list and allowing services for it but that didn't work. I also tried adding the engine with the same result. PD is updated so hopefully one of the beta testers can let me know what they did (or didn't) do. Maybe I need to protect the main AND the engine at the same time?

4. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

The only element of PerfectDisk 6.0 (Build 31) that I have in PG is pdsched.exe. I have no ALLOWS on it. It runs fine doing a manual defrag. I do not schedule automatic defrags with PerfectDisk. This in a licensed version of PG 2.0

5. Feivel

Feivel Registered Member

Didn't help siliconman. I can't help thinking that I am missing something very obvious. When I remove then add a different program to PG's protected list, do I need a reboot to see any effect or does it protect on the fly?

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Thanks Silicon man, I am pretty that that is all you need to do, so it may well be to do with the free version limitations.

7. Feivel

Feivel Registered Member

Well I don't see any harm in waiting till I get the key on Monday (unless my computer explodes - XP does some pretty strange stuff) :)

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

What does the log file tell you about this.

9. Feivel

Feivel Registered Member

Just that I executed the program. The service is NOT mentioned in the log.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.