service called LWVPWVMYM.exe?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by smilla, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smilla

smilla Registered Member

I found a service called LWVPWVMYM.exe

When I clicked on properties it displayed a path to

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp\LWVPWVMYM.exe

I didn't see that file in that location. I scanned my computer with an antivirus yesterday and no infection. I don't know when this file appeared.

Anyone know what this might be?

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Global Moderator

smilla, first, welcome to Wilders! The Local Settings file is usually hidden from view and the only way to see it is via the Tools > Folder Options > View tab and selecting Show hidden files and folders.

While that .exe does not turn up in any searches, I would advise you to run both Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware trial version and SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition for another opinion. Sometimes AVs do not pickup malware and these 2 are excellent at their jobs. Let us know if you find anything.

3. smilla

smilla Registered Member

Hi JRViejo, thanks for the welcome!

I had made sure that hidden files were displayed, didn't see said file in folder.

I ran another virus scan. Ran both programs you recommended and only found tracking cookies. The service is still there after a restart. Even though nothing has turned up I'm wondering how it got there in the first place. Didn't find anything about it in google either. Weird, huh.

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Global Moderator

smilla, yes, it's weird, but at the very least, you ran 2 of the best AS programs out there and didn't find anything. I would let the service be until you find more info on it.

Keep MBAM & SAS updated (they both update several times a day on average) and run them once a week to see if anything turns up. Otherwise, rest easy... for now. ;) Take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.