Server Rights?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Judge, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judge

Judge Registered Member

This may seem like a stupid question but...

I have just downloaded and installed 'MoRUN.net ProxyWay'
    Zone Alarm reports that it is attempting to act as a server. Should I grant this program server rights to the internet zone?

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I also have ZA and I find that nearly 100% of all programs for some reason initially ask for server rights. I always allow it just the first time when the program is setting itself up or whatever, then when setting up is all done, I go into the settings and completey refuse server rights. Chances are the program will continue to work just fine, if it does not, then further investigation and tweaking of the setting are required. I have only had one program that ever needed tweaked server rights. Good luck.

Acadia

3. Judge

Judge Registered Member

Thanks
    I'll deny it server rights and see what happens.

4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Judge

If it is also acting as a local proxy on your system (in addition to using outside proxy servers) you may need to allow it server rights for your local zone only.

Regards,

CrazyM

5. Judge

Judge Registered Member

Everything seems to be working fine. I have given the program server rights to the trusted zone only, and so far so good.

6. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Acadia,

I noticed you said you had ZA? Yesterday I noticed ZA was blocking EVERYthing that wanted to get on the internet, even my internet connection, do you know what in the world that is all about?

Now, if I turn ZA on it disconnects me from my isp?

If not, I guess I can go to the ZA forums, but, at this rate I am not sure I would get thereo_O :)

Any ideas would be appreciated, I am going off-line to scan this for creepy crawlys, but will check in.

Thanks for any ideas or answers!!

Marja:cool:

7. Judge

Judge Registered Member

What version of ZA are you using? If it is the 5+ versions then anything could happen as these releases have been notoriously unstable and bug ridden. I would consider downgrading to the stable 4.5 version and await a new release that finaly has all its bugs ironed out. Alternatively you could try resetting your firewall data base as the old one could be corrupted. The only drawback with this is you will have to 'teach' ZA which connections to accept all over again. If you get any problems you might want to nip over to the ZA forum, look for any posts by the Guru Hoov and click on his homepage link.

Good Luck :)

8. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

ZA 4.5 will not work with win xp sp2, the new ZA beta seems 2 have most of the problems fixed.

9. Judge

Judge Registered Member

ZA 4.5 does work with SP2 however, you have to set the security centre to 'I have a firewall solution I'll monitor myself' (or something like that :)
    The firewall still provides protection it's just a matter of SP2 not recognising ZA 4.5

10. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

oh ok i got that off microsoft website list of non compatable programs

11. zcv

zcv Registered Member

I just installed SP2 on a system running ZAP 4.5 - works fine. The issue of the Security Center not recognizing v4.5 does not have any affect on whether the firewall works or not.

Regards - Charles

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The issue of the microsoft security center not recognizing antivirus and firewalls Is a little alarming to some users. But fortunatly it doesn't mean that their av or firewall is not working.

bigc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.