server connection errors - again!

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by sagittarius, Nov 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arrowsmithmidwest

arrowsmithmidwest Registered Member

Yeah i'm still reading and awaiting to see the outcome aswell.

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I expect this issue will be further looked at shortly, it is a tough one that will require some time, as it is hard to replicate...

Cheers :D

3. sagittarius

sagittarius Registered Member

esp if they can't replicate our crappy telstra country phone lines ... lol :D

4. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

what i would recommend is, when installing nod32, go with the defaults, not specifying any server for the updates during the installation.. with the default installation, it will be set to "choose automatically" a server for the updates.. then, if you want to specify a server (u2.eset.com, u6.eset.com, etc) after installing nod32, fine..

i would not worry about the "failure to connect" messages in the log unless you are not able to get the updates, at all..

i have experienced some of the same "problems" with updating as some others have, but i was able to easily resolve them.. i am currently using "u2.eset.com" with the appropriate ip address for my updates, which is working for me..

i tried all of the servers today, and they all worked fine.. i recorded the ip addresses for all of the servers (which doesn't match the info at the nod32 website):

NOD32 Updates Servers:

u2.eset 67.43.10.43 Lansing, Michigan

u3.eset 82.208.27.3 amsterdam

u4.eset 62.168.97.99 amsterdam

u5.eset 82.165.250.33 amsterdam

u6.eset 209.59.135.76 Lansing, Michigan

5. sagittarius

Thanks for your input redwolfe, however I am certain that the way these computers have been set up, has no bearing on this problem, as every machine I have ever set up (well over 200) has been done identically.
    Always set to choose update location automatically.
    Always set to use a dial-up connection with no proxy server (unless the computer uses a different ISP & the user isn't sure, in which case I leave it as none)
    My question is, why do these computers update 9 times out of 10 without any problems, then have a run of "server connection failures" ... which I have to say, have been occurring more & more frequently for a certain number of machines, of lateo_O
    Admittedly 95% of them are using the same ISP, but why do only a handful experience the problem?
    The only common denominator that I can see is that nearly all of these are on poorer quality dial-up connections. Having said that, as mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I have personally experienced the "server connection error" on a new NOD32 installation on an good quality town phone line. This phone is also used to test modems with dial-up problems for our ISP users - about as good a quality as we can expect in this part of the world.
    Another point, I have made before is that the majority of the users who frequently get "server connection failure" are still getting all updates, in between the "server connection failures" which should negate the possibility of incorrect settings.
    The reason I posted this particular thread, is that I had a sudden influx of error messages, and none of the computers could be made to update using the Update Now.
    This doesn't happen often, but the fact that it happens at all and leaves these users' computers unprotected - albeit briefly - is something that concerns me.
    If it turns out that the problem is phone line related, then we will have to accept that there is nothing anybody at ESET can do to solve it and these people will just have to learn to live it. :(

6. redwolfe_98

i think the "connection failure" messages in the logs are generated by having the updater set to "choose automatically" the update server, where it scans the various servers.. try specifying a particular server for the updates, and see if that clears up the problem..

also, i would try to verify that the proper "username" and password are entered for the updates..

7. sagittarius

that thought had occurred to me, but what would happen when a particular server wasn't available, wouldn't they still get the same message?

but how is it they get most of their updates ok? If either of these were incorrect, they would (should) never get an update. And the error message should be "incorrect username and/or password" . I often get these error messages, after a new registration has been added.

8. sagittarius

Another observation:
    Today I installed NOD on 2 different computers - one W98, one W2000 (a fresh download from the Eset site for both).
    As soon as they went on line for their initial update, I noticed they both tried to access sun.uid0.sk as their first choice of server location.
    I ok'd the prompt for an available update, but after several minutes of inactivity, I decided to abort the download and do a manual update, which then went to u3.eset.com and u5.eset.com, respectively.
    Naturally, I got a "server connection error" email sent to me, but that's not why I am writing this.
    I am wondering why the sun.uid0.sk site didn't respond on both occasions although it accepted the request & offered the download,and
    why is it the first choice of server, when it isn't even listed in the available locations?

9. sagittarius

Ummm ... just wondering if anything is happening with this oneo_O
    Various users in my client database are still experiencing the problem intermittently, the most recent being last Fri/Sat. The user concerned phoned me after having attempted to do a manual update multiple times without any success. He had even disconnected & re-dialled at different times through the day to see if that would help.
    I told him that someone at ESET is looking into the problem and that I would let him and the other affected users know the outcome.
    Soooo, it would be really nice to have something to tell them ... please :)

10. Blackspear

Ohhhh I just looove a good game of Tennis.

Ahhhhem Mr Coot, you and a Developer need a Racquet, as the ball is at your end of the court and we are at 40 – love ;) :D

Mr Spear ;) :D

11. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Right..... hello fellow forum folks.... I've been 'away' for just over 2 weeks (working, before Mr. Spear comments!) so I'm sorry for not getting back to you sooner Sagittarius. I shall return ASAP with new balls...

...(you started the tennis thing Mr. Spear) with the sole intention of getting to the bottom of this problem. I'll do my best, I promise.

So I make the score 40 - 15 to Sagittarius at the moment. We can't have that! There will be much scurrying of little furry feet around the offices of Eset tomorrow morning.

Bandicoot.
    :D

12. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

As a new user i too have experienced problems updating over the last 3 days especially, and yes my settings are correct and my internet connection is fine....
    Time Module Event User
    22/12/04 17:31:26 Update Error connecting to server u5.eset.com. Default
    22/12/04 17:30:28 Update Update attempt failed (Server connection failure) Default
    22/12/04 17:28:14 Update Error connecting to server u2.eset.com. Default
    21/12/04 22:53:26 Update Error connecting to server u3.eset.com. Default
    21/12/04 22:52:40 Update Update attempt failed (Server connection failure) Default
    21/12/04 22:52:14 Update Update attempt failed (Download interrupted.) Default
    21/12/04 22:49:57 Update Error connecting to server u3.eset.com. Default
    21/12/04 22:19:34 Update Error connecting to server u3.eset.com. Default
    21/12/04 22:19:34 Update Error connecting to server u6.eset.com. Default

The download interruppted entry is when i got fed up waiting and aborted.
    Hope they can fix this soon
    ellison

13. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Are you able to update manually? Have you checked the proxy server setting in the advanced update setup to ensure they are correct? If you use a firewall, does the nod32krn service have access to the Internet permitted?

14. ellison64

Thank you for reply.
    I can update manually , and automatically since the last hour.However for the last 2 days ,and at various times during ,i was unable to do either.Firewall settings are ok and the service is allowed.I dont use any proxys and the advanced settings reflect this.Possibly the servers are overloaded , if so perhaps they need to be upgraded ,with nod becoming deservedly more popular.
    ellison

15. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It's almost impossible 5 update servers would get overloaded at a time. If you get that error again, try pinging our update servers to see if you actually get a response. If you don't get a response there must be a problem with network connectivity at your side or your ISP.

16. Blackspear

Can we please have a list of the ISP's being used where people are seeing this problem, maybe they use the same backbone carrier.

Cheers :D

17. sagittarius

:eek:
    for which I shalll be eternally grateful :-*

sagittarius

18. I have have been trialing Nod32 and have noticed this problem as well and I think I found the source, one of Nod32's own modules, IMON.

I turned it off for a bit and updates work fine.

19. sagittarius

practically all my customers use Spiderweb.
    I have my doubts about it being the carrier Blackspear, bec we (i.e. Spiderweb) switched from Comindico to AAPT only last month and the same few people are still getting the error.

sagittarius

20. redwolfe_98

the updates are working, for me.. nod32 has updated automatically several times over the last three days.. some "connection failures" are generated in the event log, but i am not concerned about those since the updates are otherwise being retrieved when they become available..

i have the updater set to use the "u6.eset.com" server..

maybe a firewall is causing a problem with updating nod32, for some people..

Last edited: Dec 23, 2004
  21. Blackspear

Working, oh pfhhhhhh lmao, I heard it was strolling on a beach navel gazing, though a jog in the morning turned into a sprint when a dog chased the liddle rodent :D

Oh I’m sure new balls were not asked for at this point in time, me thinks these are delay tactics ;) :D

Well I heard you were pretty good at tennis, though they were only rumors… :D

Alright, as Supreme Umpire I shall allow you a point, you did score 1 point somewhere along this long match ;) :D

Well batter up, hmmmm nope, ready get set, go, hmmmmmmm nope, play ball…. Nope. Ahhhhhh that's right, “Quiet Please!” ;) :D LMAO

A pleasure as always Mr Coot.

Mr Spear :D :D :D

22. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I have bredbandsbolaget in sweden. I thought that setting update to choose server automaticly meant that if one server doesn´t respond NOD tries with another until it has cycled through them all. Looking at my log it is allways server 2 and 5 that has the problem. the others work fine, why does it not connect to them when Nod cant connect to the above mentioned servers? Or does it? If it does, then there is no other problem than the log looks "unclean" :)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2004
  23. ellison64

Ill do that next time.If there is a problem this side of the ISP its only affecting the eset sites though as the connection works well with everything else.In answer to Blackspears request for in fo on ISPs used , im using ukonline (U.K) which uses easynet i believe.
    ellison

24. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Hello everybody,

Eset servers u2 and u5 are not only used for general VSD updates but one is specifically for downloads for NOD32 version 1 and one is specifically for the trial version. Hence there could be a slight bottle neck occurring from time to time....which could result in intermittent behaviour when searching through the servers and on slower, dial-up connections, errors could be reported in the Event Log.

So, Eset will remove those 2 servers from the 'automatic' choosing list for normal VSD updates and leave them to serve the 2 aforementioned areas for the time being, in the hope that this will resolve the problem. This should happen later this week.

Bandicoot.
    (Keeping furry claws crossed).

25. sagittarius

and I've got everything crossed over here :D
    thanks Bandicoot
    sagittarius

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.