Server and Forum banning

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Jimbob1989, Dec 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Ok, I was wondering if any one from wilders could answer me a quick question.

I help run an IPB2 Forum and the other administrator says that you can either ban a user from the forum or from the server.

What is the difference between the 2?

Jimbob

2. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi Jimbob,

I'll be brash and jump in here till you get an "official" answer from Paul or LWM or whoever, and hopefully they won't mind.

Quite often a server is shared, as in the case of a software download site and its support forums. I think what the admin was saying is that the individual can be banned just from the discussion forums (probably a lot more common) or for whatever reason from the whole server including its download facilities.

Best,
    Mike

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Yes, essentially that is the idea. Forum software generally has it's own banning routines, mostly done by IP addresses and/or registered member name in that forum, and possibly email address. Now, most of the webserver packages that you contract from a hosting company will include control panel access, (and maybe some sort of shell account access), to directly configure things on the server. From there you can configure limits by IP address (or range, etc.)

The difference is mostly to do with efficiency. For the forum to implement a ban, the forum software which is generally integrated with some database, must "do all the work" in determining who the person is, if they are banned and then restrict their access. It takes more resource for the forum software to accomplish a ban than for a server-side access list. (One search term that will lead you to more information on this is ".htaccess".)

Just an FYI for you on why this thread was moved: The "General Topics" section is actually used to discuss forum related topics for Wilders itself, not general topics in security, or discussions about 'forum software packages'. Just so you'll know for the next time. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.