Serious problem with Snap Deploy - please help!

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by Axelay, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Axelay

Axelay Registered Member

Howdy. Here's the rundown.

1. My school has 20 brand new Dell Dimension 2400's (Celerons).

2. We have purchased Acronis True Image 8.0 Enterprise Server as well as Snap Deploy.

3. I have built an image "master" from one of the machines which I manually configured and have captured the image to be pushed across the network via Snap Deploy.

4. All of the machines (other than the image master, which is not in the group) have been completely wiped blank with Kill Disk. No hidden partitions, no nothing. Tabula rasa.

5. I have boot each machine using a Snap Deploy boot CD. They start up perfectly fine, connect to the deploy server, and then wait for me to execute deployment. In the management console, I see the IP address of each machine, so there's no doubt that they are connected.

6. When I execute deployment, several of the machines beep loudly and turn themselves completely off. The ones which do not shut down remain in the "downloading at 28%" state for about a minute, and then completely fail out. The error code I receive says "-1 (0xFFFFFFFF), host (IP) failed to deploy."

7. I have updated our version of Snap Deploy from 1,146 to 1,149. I also burned new boot CD's after doing this.

8. I have checked to see if this is a problem with the switch I'm using to connect all of the machines to our network, and I cannot find any fault with it. This is the second switch I've tried this with, and both are 100% brand new.

9. I have successfully imaged some of our other machine types (older model Dells, some Gateways), but these Dimension 2400's are giving me a serious problem which I cannot explain.

10. I have been in contact with Acronis tech support since last week, but I have not yet been presented with a solution. Unfortunately, because these machines lack a floppy disk drive, I am unable to download and run the diagnostic program which they recommend. I could put it on a CD, but then I would obviously have no way to collect the data from the diagnostic... I am almost tempted to take one apart, install a floppy drive, and try it then.

Help, please? I really need urgently to get these machines imaged soon, as the school year is preparing to begin anew and many teachers are anxiously awaiting their new computers. Thanks!

2. DanKennedy

DanKennedy Registered Member

I have the same problem with IBM A50 Desktops. PXE or CD-rom boot starts ok, and then half way through will lock up and i get the non-responding client message. Have you had any luck resolving this?

3. Axelay

Axelay Registered Member

No, no luck whatsoever. I wiped all of them again yesterday and tried once more to image them, and the exact same thing happened. Within 5 seconds of clicking on "deploy on target machines" I had 9 out of 18 of them beep and completely shut down. I'd really appreciate any enlightenment anyone could provide with this... o_O

4. DanKennedy

DanKennedy Registered Member

Got a call with Acronis open now but no luck. Tried a new build of snap deploy this morning but no luck (although different error at linux level). What error do you get at linux level (press F11 on acronis menu and remove quiet)

then type

product /mode:demon /log-level:verbose /log:../tmp/problem.log

after it fails look at the problem.log in the /tmp folder.

Does it happen on all of your desktop hardware or only newer desktops?

5. Axelay

Axelay Registered Member

Hmmm, I'll try that tomorrow morning. I didn't go in today since I haven't heard back from tech support... :mad:

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Axelay,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Complete System Deployment Software.

Have you contacted Acronis Support? If so what was Acronis request # sent to you in autoreply to your first letter? I will find out how the investigation is going.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. Axelay

Axelay Registered Member

The number in the first tech support message I received was [Acronis #316635]. It was dated 7/27, but I haven't heard anything back since 7/30. Any assistance you could provide would be very welcome. This is the last week before school restarts, and I need very badly to get these imaged... Thanks for your help!

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Axelay,

I have checked your correpondence with Yuri and he is still waiting for log files from you. As soon as we receive them we will be able to find out the reason for the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

9. Axelay

Axelay Registered Member

Hmmm. The last log from build 1,149 was sent on 7/29 and is the second lof I've sent now. Nevertheless, I will resend it once again tomorrow morning.

10. Axelay

Axelay Registered Member

Anyone else out there with any suggestions...?

11. stanleyparker

stanleyparker Registered Member

I have the same problem. I tried deploying to 9 computers and all my Dells shutdown. Does anyone from Acronis have an update on this SERIOUS problem? :mad:

12. SprintMan

SprintMan Guest

I had some Dells that were shutting down. Try this.

Just make a Win98 boot disk (or other boot disk)

Fdisk the PC, reboot, and try again.

Worked for Me.

13. Blair Reyes

Blair Reyes Guest

Fdisk as in remove all partitions or what?
    -blair

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.