Serious PC slowdown with AV V6 after starting diskmgmt.msc

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by tomha, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomha

tomha Registered Member

When opening disk Management (diskmgmt.msc) with NOD AV V6 installed, the Computer(Win8 Pro X64) gets terrible slow. Even mouse movements are stumbled. Task Manager(started before diskmgmt.msc) shows 50% - 70% cpu usage from system. Shutdown takes 5 - 20 minutes.

All Problems are gone after uninstalling NOD AV V6

Edit:
    Tried the same on my Notebook ( Sony Vaio Z21) without any slowdown after starting diskmgmt.msc.

Maybe there is a interference between NOD32 V6 and the RAID Drivers on my PC (LSI MegaRAID SAS9271-8 with actual Firmware and x64 drivers)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  2. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

You mentioned the issue disappears when you uninstall v6. Is the issue still present if you just temporarily disable HIPS? It may help to submit a ticket to Customer Care and include a SysInspector log from the computer that's having the issues.

3. tomha

tomha Registered Member

Yes it is present when HIPS is disabled. I tested some other protection Settings, but it is a little bit difficult, when each reboot lasts 10 minutes an more. I did not find any Setting changing the slowdown. Even with all protections disabled the problem occurs. There is no slowdown before executing diskmgmt.msc, but after that the computer gets slower and slower and Task Manager Shows cpu usage by System getting higher and higher. When uninstalling NOD32 AV V6 the problem is gone and it does not occur with V5.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You can try renaming the following files in safe mode, one at a time, and see when the issue disappears:
    C:\Windows\System32\drivers\eamonm.sys
    C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ehdrv.sys

5. tomha

tomha Registered Member

When eamonm.sys is renamed there is no slowdown. Renaming ehdrv.sys does not help(PC slowdown after starting diskmgmt.msc).

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

While reproducing the issue, please capture all operations using Process Monitor. When done, save the log, compress it (using WinRAR/7-zip), upload it to a safe location and eventually PM me the download link.

7. tomha

tomha Registered Member

@ Marcos:I sent you the link.
    The slowdown started after executing diskmgmt.msc. After a while i tried to stop the procmon logging and then i shut down the Computer, because it was not usable anymore. Shutdown took 5 minutes and after reboot i opened the procmon log. It stated that the logging was interupted so it seems that procmon did´not close correct. But the log is readable and Shows the start of the mmc(diskmgmt.exe) and some timespace, till the computer got unresponsible.

I hope this can help to narrow down the cause of this strange behaviour.

regards
    tomha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.