Serious Memory Hogging

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by MiOB, Oct 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiOB

MiOB Registered Member

Hello all :)

I encounter a serious problem when using the Smart Security 4 software, I'll try to keep it very simple to understand, but tell me in case it eventually isn't. :)

Whenever I continuously download files for many hours (6 hours and more..) my memory (8GB) fills up quickly and is not freed until I reboot; Sometimes the system even reboots by itself since it is out of memory and crashes.

Every time it occurs I take a look at the Task Manager in order to spot any processes / services which are memory-hogging, but everything's fine.
    That is, all processes and services together take up about 1GB-1.5GB, and yet my available / free memory is very little, around 500MB. Where have another 6GB gone I ask?

The irregularity is the "Commit (MB)" size, which reaches almost 6GB-7GB after such a session of continuous downloading.

Here comes the bad part:
    If I completely disable Smart Security, meaning not from the GUI but disabling the service itself, the available / free memory stays around 7GB after a long session of downloading, even 24 hours of it.

Is it a known problem?

My system is Windows 7 64bit and I'm using the 64bit version of Smart Security.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

3. MiOB

MiOB Registered Member

Thanks. :)

I'm guessing there isn't yet a fix from Microsoft, is there a workaround?

I mean, what are the options in Smart Security that this problem is connected to?
    I believe I won't have to disable Smart Security completely if it's known to us.

Or perhaps a way to restore these leaks without rebooting?

Thanks for the support Marcos. :)

4. Marcos

The only workaround, although not recommended, is disabling HTTP checking. I'm not aware of Microsoft having already released a patch to this issue.

5. MiOB

MiOB Registered Member

Thanks Marcos :)

Well, it is better than disabling SS completely I think.

BTW, do I need to disable "HTTP / HTTPS" option or "web access protection" as a whole?

Also, can I exclude an application from HTTP checking and thus having the perfect solution?
    My downloading application is JDownloader.

6. Marcos

You can try excluding a specific application from http checking, but I'm not sure it will help. Disabling HTTP checking (not just web protection) is probably the only way to work around the issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.