Separate data partition (not /home)

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by steve161, Feb 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Hi Linuxoids:

I dual boot PCLinuxOS and Ubuntu 8.04. So far, when I do a clean install, my backup for music and photos is the other distro (sort of a juggling act). I would like to add a 10-20 gb data partition on the end of my disk while keeping the home directories for each distro. I am thinking of shrinking the 82gb /home from Ubuntu (now at the end of disk) to do this. Is this as easy as it sounds, and what do I format that partition as?

I do have my most important data backed up to cd's.

2. dhopley

dhopley Registered Member

Hi , Benny Bronx I dual boot XP/SP2 with Ubuntu 8.04 and use FAT32 partitions for easy access to both . In Ubuntu after the allocation of Sda1 (XP/NTFS) , Sda2 (root/EXT3) , Sda3 (Swap) and Sda4(/home/EXT3) I use Sda5 (Backup/EXT3) and Sda6(Data/FAT32) . Two other disks are Sdb1(Network/FAT32) and Sdc1(External/FAT32) . I prepare all partitions satisfactorily via GPARTED on the SystemRescueCD . Hope this helps ,
    Derek

3. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Thanks, it does help. You make it sound easier than I made it sound. I guess the smart thing would be to set it up, and make sure it is accessible before reformatting other partitions. If I manage to screw it up (I have a special talent) I can always return Ubuntu /home to its original size.

4. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

:D :D
    LOL youre not alone I can assure you
    ..now, ... where did that partition go, and where did THAT one come from ...
    :blink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.