Separate CPUs vs Included in Desktops & Laptops

Discussion in 'hardware' started by zapjb, Jun 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I think I already know the answer but I'm not sure there are not exceptions. I will speak in generalities because I don't know the specifics.

I see a price of a CPU alone at $250. Then I see the "same" CPU in a system (laptop or desktop) for $350-$400.

I know there are various steppings, types, GHz, etc. for a CPU let's say named "i7".

But are there any, some, many or no incidences where a systems CPU can be removed. And then substantial profit to be had & or highly reduced price of parts by selling either the CPU or CPUless system?

2. mechBgon

mechBgon Registered Member

The majority of personal computers have a CPU that can be removed. Selling the computer's components individually, or bundling some of them and selling them as an incomplete kit, is certainly possible.

In my opinion, it wouldn't be a highly profitable venture when you count the time, fees, shipping costs, returns, and taxes, combined with the uncertainty of getting more discounted computers to carry on with.

3. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

People that build their own usually build high end. This is due to the PC price spectrum where low end PCs are impossible to price match if you build your own yet high end PCs charge ridiculous premiums. When people build their own they want high end parts with full return policies and warranties intact.

When it comes to the upgrade market things open up a little but buyers that are willing to go private sale are going to expect a significant discount to offset the risk.

Personally I have never seen anything on ebay that I wanted to put into a build.

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

What I mean is say a BB retailer or online as well is selling CPU X for $250. Then another retailer or the same for that matter have a laptop or desktop with the "same" CPU for $350. Does this happen anytime, sometimes, a lot or never?

5. PastTense

PastTense Registered Member

I think it could well happen when a new model is coming out or there is an overstock situation so the vendor cuts prices to get rid of the existing inventory--or perhaps simply a sale featuring a major price cut.

6. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Plus, Sony, Acer, HP, Dell go to Intel and AMD and promise to buy 100,000 units per month so they receive HUGE volume discounts on those CPUs (or drives, motherboards, RAM, etc.).

I always say I can never compete in price with the big computer makers, but I can build a better computer in any class, any day.

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

True.

I have bought like 5 computer parts for my computer from Ebay and all of them work. :argh:
    CPU, HDD, RAM.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.