Senate Votes AGAINST REAL ID Funding

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by spy1, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Senate Votes Against REAL ID Funding

Today the Senate voted to kill an amendment to the Homeland Security Appropriations Bill that would have provided $300 million in funding for REAL ID. CDT applauds the Senate for this significant vote. In a letter sent to key Senators this week, CDT called on Congress to rectify the serious privacy and security holes in REAL ID before it even considers funding the measure. Today's vote represents the first time the Senate has voted up or down on REAL ID specifically. When the Act was initially passed in 2005, it was attached to a must-pass war and hurricane relief bill; and last month the REAL ID requirement for employment verification was buried in the massive immigration bill. July 26, 2007

http://www.cdt.org/security/20070725realIDfunding.pdf

2. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Thanks for the head's up on this and
    the Fusion Networks (those are .....:thumbd:), Spy1!

I'm wondering is Bush is saving all his vetos for stuff like this before he leaves office...hope not..but?

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

You're quite welcome, Marja. Pete

4. Carver

Carver Registered Member

This is good news, not that I didn't see it coming. Too many conflicts with local laws that are already established. What about people that are off the radar like the Homeless or the mentally handycapped or the functionality illiterate. Having a Real ID program will bring up questions in agencies how to handle problems involving people from other countrys that do not have a Real ID program or one that doesn't work with our Real ID program. I got a photo put on my credit card as a step towards the Real ID, not that it isn't a good idea. Now I can use my credit card as ID to buy liquor or cigarettes.

5. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Over half the States opposed it either with laws forbidding compliance or just ignoring it, and DC was getting hit pretty hard by opponents of REAL ID. The oxygen thieves in Washington do occasionally listen to the people, when they think their cushy jobs might be on the line.

I think they have enough ways to track us without using our driver's licenses as a form of a national identification card, which is exactly what REAL ID is all about. Meanwhile, 20 million illegal aliens in this country wander wherever they want with NO identification, and Washington does nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.