Senate passes bill that lets the government destroy private drones

Discussion in 'hardware' started by guest, Oct 4, 2018.

1. guest

guest Guest

Senate passes bill that lets the government destroy private drones
    Rights groups have expressed concern over the legislation
    October 4, 2018

https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/04/senate-bill-government-destroy-private-drones/

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Good!

While I think this is an unfortunate and extreme solution, sadly it has become necessary because there have been too many STUPID drone users flying drones where no one belongs. This includes near and over military bases and airports and other restricted areas. They also have been flying them over accident scenes and wild fires, thus preventing search and rescue helicopters and fixed winged aircraft from doing their jobs.

And of course, there is the threat of armed drones and malicious activities.

So blame the idiots who don't respect the published flight rules, not the government this time.

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

They needed a senate bill for this? I just assumed they would do it as they felt it was necessary.

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Who is "they"? If you flew your drone over a military base, I am sure the military has the necessary authority. Or if over the Capitol or White House, the Secret Service or Capitol Police might. But over a civilian airport? I don't know. And of course, how would they do it? Sending a barrage of bullets into the air is not always a good or safe idea.

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

They would be the government mentioned above (I would assume any branch of government, no I did not read the article in detail) and I would assume they already have control over the airspace of any civilian airport. Bullets, microwave device, cruise missile, lawn darts? Whatever works for them I guess. :D

6. longshots

longshots Registered Member

It's all part of the new world we live in. And, in the US, of course, Starbucks coffee delivery drones will now be armed to repel Costa Coffee insurgents.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.