Selling Microsoft Software on Ebay Rant

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by NGRhodes, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I've been trying to sell Visual Studio 2005 on EBay. Its a special Launch Edition, because I went to the launch event. Our servers don't support .Net 2 yet and I'm starting a new job so will not need to take this software with me.

It was on for 4 days (out of 10) when it was removed due to complaint from Microsoft, because it supposedly broke their Intellectual Copyright. Microsoft provided a link to a page on eBay with information to sellers about buying Microsoft products on EBay. Pirated, no. Unlicensed, no (full retail versions). Not for resale, well the licences say nothing, but the discs do (which was correct ?!?) , but and I quote "for retail distribution". Hm mm, this is a private auction, definitely not retail.

So I emailed EBay and asked for what specific reasons why my auction was removed, they said Microsoft didnt give a reason, but they MUST automatically remove it. They said I need to email Microsoft to find out why. I waited a few days for a response, didn't hear a thing to re auctioned it. Got removed within hours... yet I still haven't received a reason why. So I emailed eBay and they said, oh your best waiting up-to 5 days.

So I pointed out that how can they remove the auction yet not respond to my email which was sent BEFORE the re-listed auction was removed, oh you need to speak to Microsoft, I pointed out I am already waiting to hear back from them, realised that EBay were just being their usual drones.

So by Friday its the 5th working day and I've not heard from MS, so I did a little test. I re-listed my auction, but removed it... try and guess what, AFTER the auction was removed I get the exact same email from eBay, we are removing your action... blah blah blah, and to top it off they even refunded me... even though I pulled the auction myself ?!?

Proves that eBay are using a fully automated system which Microsoft are taking advantage of.

7 workings days later from when my original auction was removed and Microsoft still have not replied.

Further, what I don't understand is, eBay totally deletes the auction, so I have no record of the auction to actually check what was wrong, how can I counter Microsofts complaint, when the only evidence has been deleted ?

I'm not expecting Microsoft to respond to me any time in the near future.

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i was going to sell stuff on ebay then i noticed what a rubbish site it is.

craigslist might be better. but, i don't really know.
    http://leeds.craigslist.org/

i read there are ways to record your auction history on ebay. but, as i've never used ebay i can't remember how.

3. nichop

nichop Registered Member

I just stumbled on your post whilst trying to find some info on Acronis True Image. I work for Microsoft and i'm sorry you haven't heard back from us. I seem to recall there were some restrictions placed on the resale of the launch CDs but I can't be sure of this. I'd be happy to get someone to give you a call to confirm or otherwise what the problem is. Let me know.

cheers

Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.