Self-operating shuttle bus crashes after Las Vegas launch

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ronjor, Nov 8, 2017.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

By The Associated Press | Mercury News

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Well, a delivery truck backed into it. The article doesn't say whether there was another vehicle behind the driverless shuttle. If there wasn't, programmers obviously missed an edge case ;) But if there was, it's not surprising that the shuttle just sat there. It's a hard problem.

3. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

The problem with driveless vehicles (the programmers) is, that they expect other vehicles/people to obey basic traffic laws. Good luck with that attitude. :D

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I don't get this obsession with self driving vehicles, it's crazy as hell. I do believe in systems that assist the driver, but trying to replace humans doesn't make any sense.

5. TairikuOkami

It is convenient, I doubt you would find people willing to do jobs like picking up potatoes or corn, that is what machines are for. In like 20-30 years, people will find crazy, that people in the past actually drove the cars wasting their time and actually risking their and other lives. I watch accidents on youtube and 99% of them could have been easily avoided with AI. AI would stop or slow down the car, people are like: I have the right of way, I will just keep driving and lets see, who stops first and these days cars do not even have bumpers. :rolleyes:
    Code:
    It has already started, Google Taxi in Arizona (free for now, people are just risking their lives to test it): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaOB-ErYq6Y
    P.S.: Funny, my mother has just told me, that her friend almost lost her life, because someone totaled their car, while it was parked. It would have never happened to a drivereless car.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  6. plat1098

plat1098 Registered Member

Yeah, I don't wanna be stick with this tech, but this needs evolution like a new species, survival of the fittest. Not to be a nitpick either, but articles published for mass perusal should never contain errors like "it's" for the possessive "its." "Drives" me nuts, lol. :)

7. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Hopefully I won't be here when the Semi Trucks are driverless. I can't imagine a truck 40+ tons in weight traveling at 65 to 70 MPH down the interstate driverless.:eek: Good Luck with that!

8. TairikuOkami

10 years tops. Platooning saves a significant amount of fuel, so they will make it happen. Drivers will be replaced by security guards to prevent theft, so no job loss.

9. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I still don't trust driverless vehicles. They will get there someday, but I think they will need a lot of refinement first. I would still like to know how they handle ice and snow. Especially since I live where it does that. I would prefer to move, but as long as I am here I am greatly concerned how something like a self driving semi will handle an icy highway I might be in front of it on.

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

11. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Yup. BTW, I actually have a patent on mixed driver-driverless environments and exactly the scenarios where people do things that don't necessarily trigger algorithms as in good/bad, but they still can contribute to risk and accidents.
    Mrk

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

GM plans large-scale launch of self-driving cars in U.S. cities in 2019

13. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Look up Tesla Autopilot on youtube are quite a few realworld dashcam footages that show progress being made, impressive IMHO.
    Trustworthy ? I would trust more than the worst drivers on the road, but compared to the average to good driver, probably not yet IMHO.