Selecting folders for scan: a problem

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ralvy, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralvy

ralvy Registered Member

When setting up a Scan Target list, I notice that if I deselect any folder on a particular drive, ESET will not add new additions to that drive's root directory to the Scan Target list. That is, if I select an entire drive with no exceptions, then any file later copied to that drive via the OS will result in the Scan Target list including it the next time that list is opened. However, if any exceptions at all are made in that Scan Target list within ESET, files later copied to that drive via the OS will result in the Scan Target list not including those files for scanning.

How do I get a drive's root folder to be scanned completely, automatically, even though some of its sub folders are excluded from scanning?

2. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Your installed OS is | Your installed security software is |

Exclude certain files and folders from real-time scanning

3. ralvy

ralvy Registered Member

Win XP SP3 running ESS 4.2.40.

Also, I'm not talking about Real Time Scan Exclusions. Rather, I'm talking about configuring On Demand Scan Targets.

4. siljaline

5. ralvy

ralvy Registered Member

Yes. I know about that. The problem is this. Suppose I want to include all files in the root directory of a drive, but want to exclude one of its sub folders. So I uncheck that sub folder.

The problem arises when I later decide to copy a file to the root directory of that drive. If I did the above, that new file will not be scanned. To see this, open the Target Scan tree and notice that all the files in the root directory are checked except that new file.

This problem does not arise if I never uncheck a sub folder. In that case, all files later copied to the root directory will be scanned. To see this, open the Target Scan tree and notice that the new files added to the root directory are checked.

6. siljaline

Are you able to save your scanning targets by profile settings, if this is not the case the scan will not remember what you have selected for whatever drives and sub-folders you wish to include or exclude.

Your query is a little beyond my depth of knowledge of ESET products.

I shall leave you in the most capable hands of the ESET folks that participate here and I wish you good luck in finding the answer to your query.

Regards,

7. stackz

stackz Registered Member

I've noticed the same bug, switching to a different scan profile and then back seems to refresh the tree.
    Also occurs on my Win 7 x64.
    It just never bothered me enough to report it. lol

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Could you please create a demonstration video that would illustrate the issue? I've tried to reproduce it according to your instructions but a new file appeared in the scan target box even after I excluded a specific folder on the drive.

9. ralvy

ralvy Registered Member

The new file will appear in the scan target box, but will not be checked. Did you find it was checked?

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You're right, the file was not selected. I've noted this as a bug for developers.

11. ralvy

ralvy Registered Member

Note that this only happens if you have at least one sub folder unchecked. Otherwise new files get checked automatically.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.