Seiki 50" TV with 4K (3840 x 2160) Resolution Panel for $1,499!

Discussion in 'hardware' started by SweX, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7674736

IMO A great price point to get these new 4K TVs out on the market so most people actually can afford to get one. I have never heard of the Seiki brand before so I can't say anything about their quality. And I haven't found out wich company that Seiki are buying the 4K panels from yet...

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

This suggests they make their own.

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hi Bill.

Yes I did read that page, but I really really doubt they have the technologies in place to be able to develop their own UHDTV panels. I mean even bigger names like Toshiba, Sony etc.... are going to use UHDTV panels from AUO (AU Optronics) wich is why I doubt Seiki really have developed their own panels.
    Afaik the only brands that are using their own panels are, Samsung that are using their own panels in some of their model series, LG in some of their TVs, and Sharp wich are using their own panels in all of their products.

Though, what I think they mean is that they are putting all the parts together on their own, having their own "assembly line" like Foxconn and the other fabs, to reduce the cost to pay someone else what they (what it looks like) are able to do on their own, wich is good for the price what it seems.

But this is just what I think :D

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

OK now we know who it is that makes the panels it is Chimei (CMI) (to me a well known panel maker with good quality on their panels)

http://hdguru.com/first-look-at-the-seiki-se50uy04-affordable-ultra-hdtv/ There are pictures in the article too.

Actually this sounds like a TV for me since I don't want or need the "Smart TV, 3D etc.." that is todays fashion :D

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/04/s...s-on-how-can-a-tv-this-beautiful-be-so-cheap/

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Saw this all over gadget sites.
    I dont have a single HD Channel and im paying Cable TV. I cant imagine how the picture quality would look upscaled to 4k (HORRIBLE). :rolleyes: :eek:

7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Really not even one well that's too bad, call your supplier and demand that they start to include some, at least the most popular channels in HD :thumb:

Two months ago a signed up for a satellite TV subscription, and the good thing is that they have baked in all the channels except the sports channels wich is understandable (I don't want/need them anyway) into what they call a "Family pack" and it's 70 Channels where 13 of them are HD channels (we get 2 more HD channels 30 April so let's make it 15 ;)) and it's everything from local/national to international channels as Discovery, CNN etc etc...

And the reason I signed up for a Sat TV Sub is that the satellite capacity is pretty much unlimited. And to be able to get HD channels via your Fiber connection for example (or even 4K when ever that comes) means that you would need to pay more for faster internet speeds to be able to handle the HD channels via fiber, or maybe even pay additional fees to access new HD channels) But via satellite as a customer you don't really need to do anything except to buy a new set-top box (to where you connect the coax cable from the dish) and a new TV with higher resolution, and thats basically it. Wich is why I think that Satellite TV is the future (even though it's been around since the 80's) much more reliable and better picture quality than TV via Fiber or Broadband. And another thing is that if the Internet connection stops working so does your TV feed :D

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

The reason why i dont have HD channels is because i did not add it to the TV package. I have all channels EXCEPT HD ones.
    I mean, they offer like 4 HD packages for like $15 bucks and they all kinda suck IMO.
    Theres one for sports HD channels, 2 for movie HD channels and another for science HD channels. (Nat Geo, Discovery etc)
    Not willing to pay like four times my current Cable TV bundle for a couple HD channels. :D

9. Bill_Bright

If you live in or near a large city that has the big 4 broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX), you can always get yourself an inexpensive HD antenna and pickup a few HD channels for free.

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I see, well too bad that they didn't pack the most popular cannels including some HD channels into one bigger package and higher the price a little, than having several small package to pick from. BTW the two channels you mention Nat Geo HD and Discovery HD is included in our package. :)

I can mention that several 4K "testing" channels will start to broadcast soon via satellite so it's good to see that they are preparing for 4K this early and not be behind from the start. And later on customers will be able to upgrade their set-top boxes to support 4K content when they become available on the market. Interesting times ahead :D

11. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I might add them later if they reduce the price. :rolleyes:

12. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Sure but it may take a while, if they ever consider to reduce the price, providers are usually not very good at lowering the price IMO, but they don't mind to rise the price every now and then :D

BTW can you post a link to your providers website i'm curious to see if there is a big difference in price between Europe and America, in terms of how many channels you get for the price you pay. :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  13. Bill_Bright

That is true, but at least here, they are constantly giving us more bandwidth with the higher prices. But I note a significant chunk of my bill is fees, taxes, surcharges, and other gotchas that make the sticker shock worse.

Cable dominates my area. DSL is here, but DSL never has competed well with cable bandwidth so I am not sure I would call that completion. But the phone company is bringing fiber into the region and that introduces a whole new level of service - and I hope force cable to lower prices to keep us as customers.

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

http://broadcastengineering.com/sat...ion-satellite-and-hevc-compression-successful

15. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Im not from N. America, im from South America. :D

16. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes, but that's not easy to know since you don't show your "location" :D
    Though for the record afaik you are from Mexico ;)

17. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Nope. :rolleyes:

18. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Well that's what I remember you said in another thread couple years back but it really doesn't matter, so if you want to keep it a secret then that's fine by me, but as you can see it didn't really help in this situation :)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  19. SweX

SweX Registered Member

20. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Im way more to the south. :D

21. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Haha! I'm not in for a guessing game, this would become a rather long OT thread then. But if you feel like it you can always PM me :D

22. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I live on the North American continent and just like South America, it has more than ONE country in it. The great white north is my home and our telecommunications carriers are under the control of a government agency when it comes to the packaging of content and the pricing of the service. There are only 2 service providers (one cable, one satellite) and they control the entire market. On cable there is a HD package, but there are no HD channels mixed in with regular channels. I pay about $100 per month for a non-HD package. The number of channels means very little as we see 3 or more channels broadcasting the same content. The prices go up regularly without notice and with govt. approval. I hope that one day we will be able to forego basic cable and create our own cable bundle. The more we chose the more we pay, but at least we would be paying for what we watch. I have a Smart 3D LG 49"(came out July 2012) and I paid $899 (free S+H). We connect it to a WiFi LAN.

23. Bill_Bright

That's your area. Mine has cable, satellite and DSL and a 4th, fiber, is coming soon. Some markets have more than one of each type, increasing competition.

24. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Wow $100 just for Cable TV.
    I pay like $15 - $20 but in order to have those prices customers have to hook up with their other services otherwise they are more expensive. (TV, Landline, Internet)

25. SweX

SweX Registered Member

:eek: That is ridiculous. I would never ever pay that much Even if there were HD channels in the package. Well you could try to buy a big Dish and start a subscription with another North American provider if they got the channels you want, and you should have no problem to pick up the signal from the satellite/s since afaik they cover whole North America. Though you may need to have a US based address to subscribe to a provider based in the U.S. or something like that. :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.