Seems to slow flash access?

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by monkeybutt, Mar 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkeybutt

monkeybutt Registered Member

Is this normal or is this a side effect of installing this on top of Norton. I think you are supposed to install this before your av, so should I re-install Returnil now that I no longer have Norton on my system?

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Can you describe the issue in more detail please? Access is slowed how and by how much?

Mike

3. monkeybutt

Just a guess but I'd say about 15-20s before I can really access my flash drives.

Should also add this does not seem to happen all the time, just often enough to be annoying. Don't know if this is really linked to Retrunil, but it seems to coincide with the install of the program. Also notice some momentary HDD hiccups when accessing the main drive.

I.E.: if I click on a file sometimes it will take a couple of seconds to acknowledge the action, and when I'm browsing and download a file, when you pick the folder to save to I can't pick the folder right away, and after picking the folder the selection menu will sit open doing nothing for a few seconds.

Well, is this behavior exhibited by your software or should I look else-ware.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  4. Coldmoon

No, what I see into what you report could be several things:

1. Remnants of Norton causing some delays (try the NAV cleanup tool to remove them and then see if the slowness returns)

2. Something following behind the RSS VG. IOWs - some form of redunt scanning or checking

3. Windows Vista and to some extent, Windows 7

4. RSS cache size or data in the cache getting close to "full"

Does the slowness (test when it happens) decrease or go away following a restart of the computer?

Mike

5. monkeybutt

I'm checking but am running chkdsk right now.

6. monkeybutt

Come on! That's the second time my post mysteriously disappeared and then took me to my account private messages?

Long story short, everything seems to be back to normal. Going to do more testing to see what caused this but needed to know if you have heard of this with Returnil since this started around the time of install, by the way I bought the program.

I checked the registry for Norton entries found one or two and deleted them, but I'm pretty sure I installed Returnil with active scan off anyway but I'm sure that does not mean that Norton could not have interfered with the install.

I tried all modes and they all seem to work, but I placed some things in the virtual drive and they are gone after reboot and going out of virtual mode. Maybe I set something wrong but I don't see them in the drive. Thank for the help, much appreciated as I know you are surely busy.

7. Coldmoon

Check with one of the board Administrators on this. I have not moved any of your posts as Moderator of this section of the board, so they are better placed to assist you with this specific issue.

In my reply here, I am assuming that we are talking about the Virtual Drive (Virtual Mode > Tools > Virtual Drive) and not the Virtual Mode cache.

Access to the root of the Virtual Drive is limited to administrative accounts. For other users and those with limited permissions, you should create folders within the VD where content can be stored. EX: Z:\mystuff\somedocument.doc

Mike

8. monkeybutt

Makes sense, and I actually was going to do that with the virtual drive, but I forgot :blink:

I don't know what's up with the posting at times? FFRC2 maybeo_O

9. monkeybutt

Coldmoon,

Just for future reference it was Returnil that was causing the slow access, but as the guide and you have said install Returnil before any other AV.

It seems even with Norton active scan off the program still interfered with install of Returnil. I uninstalled Retrunil and access to the flash drives immediately was back to normal, and I also did a registry sweep for everything but hidden keys and found nothing. I did find 2 left over Norton keys but I can't imagine that 2 keys were causing an Issue?

So I re-installed Returnil and it's been working like a charm ever since along side Panda cloud.

This issue was not real hard to sort out, but like you said in earlier posts I have also seen this with kind of behavior from windows , just not on any machine I've built recently. Especially since I keep a really clean install by having virtual test systems and I also use ATI's try&decide which can be a life saver, and I also limit start-up and some services.

This was a strange one though, as drive access was not hampered at all times and would sometimes go away after re-boot.

OK, thought I had this licked but guess not, but this is linked to your software. I can reproduce this 100 out of 100 times. Very frustrating.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  10. Coldmoon

With a Norton reinstall or with Panda Cloud? Also, when did this start to happen and are there any blocks/detections listed in the Virus Guard log?

Mike

11. monkeybutt

Yes, it blocked a downloader, but every other security soft I use does not exhibit this, and every scan I've run has not found anything.

Everything was running great until I installed my upgrade license to Ultimate, what that has to do with it is beyond me or maybe just happenstance?

It's all very strange the way the slowdown comes and goes, sometimes it's very noticeable and other times not, but when I upgraded, the slow down to the drives did not go away even after reboot.

I even ran TDSSK, nothing and I also use Hitman Pro.

Right now I'm running SD with Prevx and she runs like a Ferrari:D

It's a nice program, just does not like my system.:eek:

It has nothing to do with Norton or Panda, I can run both with no Issues. I've tried all sorts of combo's with Returnil from Prevx to Norton to Panda, for what ever reason the program just slows access to my files? I would not mind if it was just a minor hit, but it is not.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  12. monkeybutt

Just a little update. I tried Returnil again in one of the virtual environments and the program did not exhibit the same behavior, so I can only assume there is a conflict with something on my system.

I finally have my system stable and where I want it, so I don't know if I put Returnil back on or not, but I do like the features you have that SP does not. I might mess with it again in a couple of weeks, I don't know? Any program this picky is not at the top of my list.

13. Coldmoon

RSS is not "picky" as your testing in a VM shows unequivocally. What you need to do on your main system is to reduce the complexity. This could be other programs in use at the same time, but performance issues can arise for any number of reasons due to remnants of other programs used in the past and potential interactions with new programs over time.

It may even be the time to backup your data and files and do a complete wipe and reinstall. Though this has become less and less of a general issue with the newer versions of Windows, eventually, even Win 7 can get cluttered and need a spring cleaning. This can also set a very simple base-line for slowly adding back other programs. The key here is to install one at a time, watch for interactions, and then proceed to the next application in order of importance (security first, productivity later).

Mike

14. monkeybutt

I don't know what it is, just does not like my main system, but I think Retrunil is a good product but SD plays better with my main system.

The same problems still exist, very slow drive access, but I noticed that the AV from Returnil seems to inject itself into explorer. Chameleon only picked up the explorer AV with Retrunil.

Any Ideas? Conflicts with Acronis maybeo_O

15. Coldmoon

Hi,
    Have a test I would like you to try:

1. Download a copy of RVS Pro 2011
    2. Uninstall RSS 2011 with complete restart to complete the process
    3. Install RVS Pro 2011 and select the Trial option to register it. Also remember to restart your computer to complete its install

Test RVS Pro for a period of time and let me know if you still encounter the slowdown issue.

Mike

16. monkeybutt

I use pro. The only thing I can think of is putting it on my test system to see if maybe it's the hardware the program does not like, what about ahci?

17. Coldmoon

In theory, I don't see why AHCI mode would be a problem, but it may not give you the performance level you are trying to achieve in the real world. It will be interesting to note your results however...

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.