seems to me "Allow once" is useless

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by jaja, Feb 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaja

jaja Registered Member

I dont trust IE so I use firefox, but my bank and the new hotmail currently require IE, so I use it for those.
    If I open IE and click on Allow Once I have to click allow once for every single connection attempt by IE....and a web page has dozens of required new connections. THat as far as I am concerned is pretty useless. Allow once should be per session. If I open IE and click allow once, it should let me connect to anything I want as long as I dont close IE (or maybe for a specified/preset amount of time) the application.
    That is one of the reasons I liked sygate, the blocking was per application per session. Not per connection nor per packet in which case an "allow once" option (at least in http) is useless.
    Am I missing something? did I just rant in vain...is there a way to make the allow once work for the complete session?
    thanks.

2. tonyjl

tonyjl Registered Member

Hi jaja.

You could try useing your firewall to restrict it's access to only the IP addresses of your bank,hotmail,windows update,then set it to 'permit always' for connections to the net. Keep it set as 'permit once' for execution.

That's the way i set mine anyway.

3. jaja

jaja Registered Member

tonyjl,
    the bank, hotmail etc are the absolute necessities....but there are several pages that don't work in firefox...or at least dont work correctly. So I even have an extension in firefox that opens the page in IE. I cant limit IE to only certain IP addresses. Besides, the reason I am looking into appdefend is specifically cause I have gotten rid of my personal firewall and want want appdefend to control what program decides to send stuff out. For incoming firewall I have my router which works quite well. Sygate worked nicely as far as restricting incoming and outgoing on an application(per session) basis, but I had to get rid of sygate cuase it used way to much processing power during bittorrent sessions.
    thanks for the suggestion though.
    jaja

4. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Not at the moment. I have already requested 2 extra buttons - "Allow for Session" and "Block for Session". A session ends when either Windows is rebooted, or AD is restarted.

5. jaja

jaja Registered Member

you should add to the "session" when the app in question is restarted. My computer can be on for weeks without shutting down...and appdefend would be on during all that time, but the apps I am trying to stop (such as IE) open and close all the time.

6. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Why not just set it to Allow Always then ?

7. tonyjl

tonyjl Registered Member

You basically have three options.

1. Put up with clicking yes multiple times.

2. Set AD to 'allow always'

3. Download a firewall (free ones are fine,like Zone Alarm free)turn off 'Internet Filtering' and just use the 'Program Control' feature to limit which sites your apps can access. You're just limited to those firewalls that enable you to turn off 'Internet Filtering'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.