Seeking a "hack" to convert AV to on-demand

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TheMozart, Jul 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I have tried many different AV's, e.g Avast, Avira, AVG etc. But they all slow down my system enough for me to notice. My Laptop is rather old and don't have much RAM and grunt etc, so that's probably why.

I was using on-demand scanner ClamWin, but ClamWin doesn't seem to detect so many virus' as the other leading ones.

So...can someone help me "hack" or edit or modify Avast or Avira or AVG that it won't load in memory and won't sit resident in RAM chewing up my resources...but instead I can use it to just scan files and programs and folders and hard drives when I want.

In other words... is there a way to convert, edit, "hack" Avast or Avira or AVG to behave and act like Clamwin?

Cheers.:thumb:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

just disable its active service or running process it may work:)

3. andylau

andylau Registered Member

As for Avira, you can install it through "Custom installation", so that you can just install the scanner only, which what you want.

The are some free virus removal tools, such as Dr.Web Cureit and Norman Malware Cleaner, which are need not to install. But they do not have auto update feature, so that you need to re-download to obtain the latest version.

Of course, you may also use free Command Line Scanner if you want.
    For examples, Avira, Emsisoft, VBA32 and Sophos have provided a free Command Line Scanner.

4. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Hi TheMozart, what you seek is, I fear in contravention of usual software EULA, and afaik not acceptable at Wilders(?).
    Instead, why not try a combination of HitmanPro and Prevx free Facebook version, which is a very light yet effective combo?
    HTH.

5. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

What do you mean? Do you for sure this will work or you guessing? What are the steps if you know 100% sure it works?

6. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

You can install Avira without the real-time guard and complement that with Shadow defender or Sandboxie.

7. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Please explain?:blink:

8. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

So Avira will not run in RAM at all?

And can you still update the virus definitions?

And what are the steps in doing this? How do I install Avira without the real-time guard?

Compliment it with Sandboxie how?

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Dermot7 is correct. It is against an EULA to change software in any way and if a hack was posted, it would be removed under our TOS.
    Please Read: Avast EULA | Avira EULA | AVG EULA

10. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Usually it is not permitted by the license agreement to hack, convert, alter software. But if e.g. Avira's scanner can be custom-installed on its own, then that might suit you. I wasn't aware that it was possible to install scanner alone.

11. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I read somewhere that Avira on demand scanner in Avira detects less than the Guard. Is that really true?

And when I install Avira, I just deselect "GUARD" and it won't run Avira in memory all the time? Will Avira on demand without "GUARD" installed require a background process running all the time?

12. Sevens

Sevens Guest

I have been using Bitdefender free. It is working well behind DefenseWall. It is on demand and maybe exactly what you want.

13. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Free is a good word I like ;)

You mean this one?

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/BitDefender-Free-Edition.shtml

But it's only free for 1 year? One year free license it says!

And it's very old..it says, Last update: April 24th, 2009, 14:00 UTC

Is this the same one?

http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

Does it detect malware as good as Avira, Avast etc?

14. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Sorry, I wasn't thinking :gack:

I will look at Bit Defender FREE instead then.

15. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Are we able to install Avira and deselect GUARD? Is that an option in the installer?

16. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

License is renewable, like with Avira and Avast. The free version is BD 2009 so it isn't as powerful as the newer BitDefender versions.

You are better off installing Avira Free w/o guard than using BD Free. My opinion. :)

17. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Choose the custom install option during installation and deselect all the components (scanner can not be deselected).

18. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Deselect everything? Does this mean ask toolbar won't be installed either?

19. adrenaline7

adrenaline7 Registered Member

Do a custom install of Avast and select file shield only. Once installed change the scanning options to your liking (I like high heuristics, turn off real time monitoring). Hit start-run and type "services.msc" w/o quotes and disable the avast service. Hit start run and type "msconfig" w/o quotes and uncheck avast from startup. Install Autoruns and uncheck all avast entries. Reboot. Avast will use zero resources of any kind until you re-enable the service, then you may update and scan. Once done you may disable the service again and reboot and this will convert Avast into on-demand scanner and works perfectly fine.

20. Sevens

Sevens Guest

Bitdefender free has engine and definition updates just the same as their other products just the name is dated. Used as it is meant to be it works well. I have updates set to manual and it will update 5 or six times a day if I fire it. It wouldn't be on there site if it didn't work.

21. adrenaline7

adrenaline7 Registered Member

he said he didn't something to load in memory and sit resident in RAM, AFAIK Bitdefender free does.

22. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I installed Avira and chose custom install and deslected "AntiVir Guard", yet when it finished installing I see the Avira icon in bar and it cannot be closed.... so it's still running in memory...and updating has been disabled it seems.

So what gives? :thumbd:

BTW it didn't ask me if I wanted to install ask toolbar...but I thought Avira is supposed to ask about that?

23. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

It only asks when you upgrade Avira to SP2.

Open Avira > Settings (check the advanced/expert mode) and turn off Avira's self protection settings, if enabled. Type "services" (without quotes) into search and disable Avira service. Then search "msconfig" and remove Avira from startup. Reboot.

24. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I upgraded to SP2 and i said install later.. but will it ask me again AND again forever to install the toolbar? it doesn't have an option to say NO don't install toolbar :thumbd:

When I open Avira, I don't see any "Settings". Where is that? And where do I turn off self protection settings? Where is "self protection settings"?

If I follow your instructions above, how do I then update Avira virus definitions?

25. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Hey Man - quit messin around and just use Hitman Pro. It's FREE and there's even a "portable version"! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.