Seeing USB drive From Boot Disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Rod Williams, Apr 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rod Williams

Rod Williams Registered Member

I would like to know how many people have and have not had success seeing an external USB hard drive after booting to Acronis boot disk.

Thanks

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

If you have a problem with TrueImage seeing your USB drive, let us know what brand of case or drive it is and if possible what chipset is in the drive case and in your computer.

Seeing the external USB drive isn't normally a problem although there can be other problems getting good, verified backups with some setups.

3. Greyhair

Greyhair Registered Member

For what it's worth, Acronis TI loaded from its boot disk sees my Maxtor One-Touch external USB 2 drive without fail.

4. Marc_G

Marc_G Registered Member

And I've had no problems using a generic CompUSA USB2 2.5" enclosure, or a CMS/ABS 2.5" enclosure. Created, verified and restored many images. Computer = IBM T42p laptop.

Marc

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

No problems at all using a Conceptronic/Tulip USB 2 HD enclosure (NEC chipset) fitted with a 30GB IBM DeskStar ATA 100 hard drive.

Regards

6. boulmiche

boulmiche Registered Member

Hi
    I have problem seeing my USB HD when I boot from acronis bootable CD. creating image to the USB unit was successful but accessing it from DOS was impossible. I can't see it in the drive tree. It's a QTEC case 750H 3,5". the HDD attached is Western Digital 40GB. PC's motherboard is Asus K8N, AMD Athlon 64 300+, OS: win xp pro sp1a, I tried many tools for imaging like Ghost without no success. Please help anybody...
    Regards

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  7. Rik Bean

Rik Bean Registered Member

I've got 3 USB2 HDs, TI8 sees them all with no problems.

8. Menorcaman

Hi,

Not sure whether you are aware that, after booting from the Acronis (Linux not DOS) rescue CD, the drive letters seen by TI will likely have changed. If not already done, try double clicking on each drive in turn to see whether your USB HD/image is hiding under a pseudonym!!

Regards

9. Menorcaman

Hi Rik,

For the benefit of less fortunate users, is there a chance you could post the make/model of your motherboard plus details on the make/model of the USB HD enclosures and their chipsets?

Regards

10. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

If Menorcaman's advice does not help:

Your case is a bit of an oddball. I believe that you would need a BartPE CD with the new Acronis plugin and your special Windows drivers added. I think that is the only alternative.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  11. twolfson

twolfson Registered Member

I have the same problem;
    Question -- where do I get the acronis plugin?
    also there are no special windows drivers for my disk.
    Terry

12. Rik Bean

Sorry, Tom, missed this one. The mobo is an Intel Canterwood, i875P chipset. It supports 8 x USB2 ports.

The drives are commercial packages:

Archos Q-disk 120GB (IC35L AVV207-0)
    Gericom 160GB (Samsung SP1604N)
    PikaOne 250GB (Maxtor 6-Y250P0)

I've also used my notebook's port-powered drive, which is another Archos (Hitachi - DK23DA-20).

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

If you have problems with seeing external drive using Acronis Bootable CD please make sure you have the CD created with the latest build of Acronis True Image and if the problem persists please plug your external drive, create the sysinfo.txt file in the way described at Acronis Help Post and send to support@acronis.com along with the full model name of your external disk and your motherboard. We will certainly provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

14. Ed Y

Ed Y Registered Member

I've got a TEAC 80GM external USB 2.0 setup with a Western Digital HD. No problems at all seeing it or using it from the boot CD.

15. anettis

anettis Registered Member

I wish to create a drive image of my new (freshly reformatted) DELL laptop for recovery purposes i.e. hard disk crash, registry corruption, etc.) so that I don't have to go through a time consuming reinstall and reconfigure everything cycle. So I downloaded a trial copy of True Image to make sure it works with my laptop /external hard drive BEFORE I purchase the product. It installed easy enough and I made the bootable recovery CD - which also works. However when I try to create an image it sees that I have an external hard drive (Maxtor One-Touch 2 attached via USB2) - but it say that it is empty (without any partitions) and thus I can't select it as the target location of my new drive image. The notebook I am using is an Inspiron 8600 (Pentium-M 1.7) with Windows XP Pro. I got the same results from both the Windows executable and the boot disk executable. So it does not look like I can specify my external drive as a target location for image archive creation.

I am wondering if perhaps the full version is more up to date than the trial with respect to USB devices supported? And if so perhaps this external drive will actually work fine once I purchase the full version. However I am a little hesitant to spend the money if it does not look like the product will work with my hardware. Can anyone provide some advice on this?

UPDATE: I am using version 8 trial build 826 - which seems to be current (unless the trial build is different than the full build). I am guessing my hardware may not be supported by this product?

UPDATE 2: OK - problems solved (at least under Windows). I forgot to reboot the external hard drive after rebooting windows. For some reason windows does not seem to fully connect to the external hard drive unless the device is rebooted (turn off - turn on).

Thanks!

Tony

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  16. Acronis Support

Hello anettis,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

If you have any problems with our program please send the letter to support@acronis.com. We will certainly help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  17. iflyprivate

iflyprivate Registered Member

Tony,
    I recommend you format the Maxtor drive so XP recognizes it.

18. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

My old Seagate 60Gb worked fine when plugged into a USB to IDE convertor.

No enclosure - just a cable and power lead. Works fine.

19. pjwerdna

pjwerdna Registered Member

I've the same USB-IDE convertor that only lets me see a fat32 partition.

Is this normal or is it that you can only see the first partition on USB connected discs from the recovery disk?

20. Rik Bean

I can see multiple NTFS partitions.

21. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

I can see the only NTFS partition on that drive and however i also have no problems viewing disks with multiple partions FAT32 or NTFS....

22. pjwerdna

pjwerdna Registered Member

Hmm!

Could it be the version I'm using?

I currently have Acronis True Image personal version 8.0 (Build 797)

It was given away on a Personal Computer World CD. I've tried to see if there are any updates, but it says "You don't have registered products" even though I have on the Product Registrations page.

23. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

I can see both FAT32 and NTFS on my external Maxtor OneTouch II connected via FireWire - and that is with TI 6.0.

24. Acronis Support

Hello pjwerdna,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We regret to inform you that we do not provide updates for Personal versions of Acronis software. However, you may purchase upgrade to full version (that costs much cheaper than the original version) at our on-line store. Personal versions are mainly intended to let customers get acquainted with Acronis software.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

25. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Is this when you try to restore from the external disk, or when you try to create an image?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.