Seeing "Guest" for the first time. Problem?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I am embarrassed to ask a question like this because I am sure it is common knowledge, however, I have never had anything other than just one computer that I am the only user of. I am using Windows 8. Where I live, there is a wireless connection that is shared by many users. The WiFi router was not set up with a password, so anyone can connect who is within range. This situation is not really new, and I am not aware of any problems, however I saw a "Guest" in the file explorer (see attachment). What bothers me is the implication of the name Guest. I do not want any Guests on my computer! That implies that they have access to files on my computer? When I clicked on the name I received a message that they declined my invitation to join their homegroup (or something like that). Worried that I may have accidentally done something wrong by initiating contact, so to speak, I clicked advanced network settings and turned off network discovery which I was thinking would make us not visible to each other. And, no, I have no idea whether that was a good idea or not. I do know that 2 of the 3 guests disappeared, but one did not...

...should I be worried?

Any info at all would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.