SecurityXploded ?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by emmjay, Jun 9, 2017.

1. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I ran ADWcleaner today and it found a folder 'SecurityXploded' in Program Files. It was flagged for removal. I did not install it. But there it was. It has now been deleted.

Of course I Googled it and found that several AV products such as Norton, MacAfee and Malwarebytes, block the website of the same name. However, it appears many people use the products from their website and claim they are safe. I am concerned that the folder may have been packaged with something else I installed - I think it is the only way it could have ended up being installed on my system (or it was a driveby download :shifty:).

Has anybody else got this folder on their system (did it get there without your knowledge)?

2. itman

itman Registered Member

Nope. If your install "freeware," you're bound to end up with crap like this.

Also check your AV solution and ensure all PUP/PUA detections are enabled. With many AV's those settings are optional and not always set on by default.

3. guest

guest Guest

I think this too.

4. itman

itman Registered Member

If the software downloaded from this site: http://securityxploded.com/ , it is safe. If it is bundled in other software, it probably is not safe.

5. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

That is what bothers me. I do have freeware on my system, so i am trying to find out which product. I always check before I install, but it looks as though this one got by me.

Update: I checked the txt file of the last time I ran AdwCleaner and it was 3 months ago. The folder 'securityXploded' was not found then. In the past 3 months the only freeware I have installed is: Notepad++, Sumo, and Cports.

Of those three, only Sumo states that it 'may' have extra stuff. NB: I'm not accusing Sumo of packaging this PUP. They offer a lite version so I will use it the next time I update.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.