Security update available for Flash Player

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Adobe

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Thanks Ron! Too bad we don't get a nickel every time we update an Adobe product :D.

3. Fly

Fly Registered Member

That pesky Flash !
    I should get rid of it, but I've been too lazy to do that. And I don't like registry hacks.

Anyway, I got the latest version (MINUS the download manager!).
    I always run Hijackthis after someting like this.

Of course I didn't download the Google toolbar, by default opt-out.
    How many people have their PCs cluttered with toolbars ?

Before downloading the new version I checked the software license agreement, and read the relevant PDF. You might want to read it too, in section 6.1 it describes the spyware-like features of the PDF reader.

4. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

i uninstall old version,went to the site,untick google toolbar,and proceed to install.everything runs fine.
    -but.i see one mor process from adobe.,i see adobe download manager in zsoft uninstaller...how can?...saw in processes something like hostdll.exe..
    ---so proceed to uninstall that downloader...
    -watch out guys.

5. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

OK, I'll bite -- how'd you manage it? I didn't see any option for that, just for the toolbar.

6. acuariano

yes...where is the version without the download manager

7. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Btw, I uninstalled the old version first.

On the page in question there is an option to download it if it doesn't start automatically. Actually, there may be two of those options, not sure, but look at somewhere at the bottom of the screen.

8. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

As I only use Firefox and Chrome portable, what I need to do is to download 'install_flash_player.exe', extract it with 7zip and grab 'NPSWF32.dll'.

Flash.png

9. Fly

Fly Registered Member

You have hostdll.exe ?
    I just googled it, and it doesn't look good.
    This is ONE example: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/hostdll.exe-7765.html

You may want to check that out.

10. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Registered Member

As someone who doesn't exactly understand the inner workings of flash, but wants to update to avoid security flaws which are commonly leveraged, what should I do?

I don't want a download manager. I don't want a google toolbar. I'm running Opera 10.1 on Windows 7 x64 Professional.

When I go to the download page for the update, I don't see anything about the download manager, or the google toolbar. I can't opt out of anything. Is this the wrong package to be downloading? If I use the .exe I get out of here, will it install these nasty toolbars and managers without asking me?

This is all I see when I go to the download page:

Attached Files:

11. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I'm not familiar with your browser.

Maybe click on the 'agree and install now' ? Your browser/OS shouldn't allow direct execution, just have it attempt to download the stuff. With IE 7 I would see a message asking whether I wanted to download/execute it. I don't recall the specifics, but not allowing it will give you several options, one at the bottom of the webpage should allow you to just download Flash, without any other stuff.
    I'd recommend running Hijackthis to see if any toolbars or other stuff have been installed.

There is an alternative approach, I don't know if that would work for your system. A recent post/thread, 'search' is your friend.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  12. acuariano

check task manager and you'll find it...you'll find an extra service running..
    so uninsta ll it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.